 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11757
Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:53:31 GMT

Well I did it.  I hiked the trail on the weekend.  13 something km.
Wow, that's a long hike, at least for me.  I'm really feeling it today.

The trail is quite ruff in places, and there are some small climbs over
rocky piles but for the most it's a smooth trail through rolling
terrain, with lots of trees.  Unfortunately lots of mosquitoes in places
as well.

Since the trail runs through both government and privately owned land
there are a lot of mixed uses of the forest.  For example there where
several cross paths that were in use by a group of dirt bikers.  That's
a little distracting from a quiet walk in the woods.

The bridge is cool, although you get to it at about the 3/4 point of the
hike so I was really tired at that point.  Didn't get as excited by the
whole thing as I would have if I was fresh.  From the bridge and a near
by lookout you can get a very good view of the quarry.  It would be
interesting to be there on a week day to see the quarry in use.  It's an
enormous quarry.  The building, which I assume is used for rock
crushing, is just massive.

From the other side of the bridge and all along the escarpment you get
a great view of the land below the escarpment.  Its a wonderful view
with forest and farmland in the foreground and Toronto and lake Ontario
on the horizon.

In future I would recommend doing the trail the other direction, but it
means starting out with a long walk along the side of a relatively busy
road.  Not a very exciting way to start out.  Plus you have to be more
alert about when to cut off onto the side trail.  The way I went I
always came to a trail change at a T.  This meant I always knew when to
go a different direction.  If you went the other way you could easily
miss a turn off and end up in Tobermory before you realized your error. :-)

Anyway, I had a lot of fun, and it was a very interesting hike.  I won't
be doing I hike like that again for a while though.  Man am I stiff, and
tired today.

Derek