 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11691
Re: Obscure question about Milton, Ontario
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:42:19 GMT

Hey guys,

As a follow-up to the bridge question, I emailed the Halton Conservation
Authority people and got a response!  Here it is...

    Iain

--

The "ridge" you see is the Niagara Escarpment, which runs from Niagara to
Tobermory, and we are very fortunate to have it run through our region.  Our

The "gap" you see was created many years ago in order for the quarry to get
their trucks through that area and into the quarry.  Of course, these days
with all the environmental concerns, it never would have been allowed.
However, the Bridge is a pedestrian bridge built to allow the Bruce Trail to
go straight across the Gap, and the bridge is in the middle of our
Escarpment Tract of land.  The Quarry Bridge was erected in February 1991 by
Eagle Bridge of Kitchener.  Funding was provided by the Ministry of Culture
and Tourism, as well as many corporate donors and Bruce Trail Association
members. The concrete footings and 30m rock bolts were constructed (and
funded) by Dufferin Construction, a division of Dufferin Aggregates.

The bridge obviously is in between concessions.  It is difficult to give
directions to get to the bridge, since it is on the main "solid white
markers" of the Bruce Trail.  There is a place on Sixth Line where the trail
comes north out of Hilton Falls Conservation Area, crosses Sixth Line into
the Escarpment Tract, and you would just continue walking northward and
eventually get to the bridge.  However, there is no parking on the Sixth
Line, and even though there is a golf course there, their parking is
strictly for their guests.

You may be interested in obtaining a Bruce Trail handbook that has maps of
the trail and shows the parks places that trails cross certain roads, etc.
It can be purchased from the Bruce Trail Association at P.O. Box 857,
Hamilton, ON L8N 3N9 (Ph. 905-529-6821).

I hope this is at least part of the information you were hoping for.

Carol Patterson
Administrative Ass't