 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / *464 (-20)
  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) Er, one of the tracks isn't connected. So, thats 1173 pieces of train track. My guess is about a minute to place each one. Some as little as a couple seconds, but overall, I think that's a not unexpected rate. That's a *lot* of time! P.S. I've (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching

(...) ? Why do you want the spurs so close together? If there's one thing we *aren't* short of, it's space. Stick with the geometry. Even a space-eating ladder-style yard works just fine. James (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout

(...) the layout to be. Also, if we're about equi-distant from our layout and the play area, we may get involuntarily co-opted into some aspect of play area duty. I think I'd prefer the original horseshoe idea you were working with, backed against (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching

(...) Two feet by eight feet (or 6 or 4, but what point is a 2'x4' table?) (...) For the track designer impaired, here's what he's talking about... (URL) nice, but it still doesn't get the tracks any closer together than the standard switch width. (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching

(...) Two feet by eight feet (or 6 or 4, but what point is a 2'x4' table?) (...) For the track designer impaired, here's what he's talking about... (URL) nice, but it still doesn't get the tracks any closer together than the standard switch width. (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) I killed the whole morning (I could never do this with a regular paying job) making it, but I've got a switching yard that I like. The overall "industrial end" is 8'x18', with the yard 3' across. (Any wider and we wouldn't be able to reach it (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout

(...) OK - Here's the latest. I don't think the play area will be that large, but you get the idea. I was origianlly thinking of a three-sided layout facing the play area, but it leaves a huge empty area behind the layout. If I reverse/mirror (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching

(...) Hmm. I don't think we can pull off a 15 footer, quite. Quick question: How *wide* are our tables? I've been thinking that they're 30", standard banquet table width, but I seem to recall you saying "2 feet" somewhere... (...) One way of getting (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching

(...) Hacksaw. I think that I have some straights/curves with the required modifications (I know I have some curves, not sure about straights) James (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching

I'm posting this also in the main trains group in case someone has indeed cut the edge off some switches or found a way to make a switching yard close together like this. I'm going to try an interleaved yard to get the tracks the way I want - I'll (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Grain elevator ideas

(...) It would seem to me you would have to use a non-LEGO solution for the grain itself. If the source yellow pellets from TLC were small enough that would be ideal, but that ain't gonna happen. :-) SRC StRuCtures (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain

(...) How's this? (URL) line at the top is the main line where most of the train running will be. The bottom line can be run through as the "show loop", but the trains would be going through the curved part of switches, and we all know how much (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Yellow antennae

(...) <Castle-head scratches said head and wonders what a 1x4 antenna is> If that's the pieces used for flagpoles, then yes, I have a bunch. Not sure how many are yellow, but likely a fair number. Pop by tomorrow if they are, and join a crew for a (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Yellow antennae

Does anyone in NALUG have spare 1x4 yellow antennae? I could use a bunch... -- John (remove the obvious to reply) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Grain elevator ideas

(...) Michel, Yes, glue would prevent the mailboxes from comming off. However, our "grain" is just too course to prevent the occasional jam. 1x1 rounds have edges. No good. Perfect spheres would be much better, such as soccer balls. But I think (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Winners in the First Annual Classic Space Set Design and Building Contest

SRC wrote in message ... (...) Thanks, Steve! (...) Oh, well. I guess the "h" is silent, right. :-) Mind you, correct spelling and/or pronounciation of my last name is the more common problem. As you know, "Koob" rhymes with "lobe". (...) I know. I (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.build.contests, lugnet.space, lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

It's moot (for this show anyway) unless you guys can build it up higher. As with the turntable, the tables are rentals, so anything that is displayed has to still flat on top of the tables - no cut-out. (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

(...) I'm a Englishman, living in Canada for the last 21 years (of 24 :), who is in the Navy (_Never Again Volenteer Yourself), currently going to school in St John's, but awaiting my posting msg back to Victoria (west coast wants bodies) I _know_ (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

(...) With the much improved rope barrier and the huge play area to distract grabbing/touching, not to mention the elongated "three-sided shape" meaning we're mostly facing one direction, I think we should be OK. Of course any AFOL from NALug and/or (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout

(...) How long can you make the mountain? Could you make three or four three foot sections (that would connect to each other)? The tunnels not curving won't matter if the tunnels are long enough, especially with them being so far from where someone (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact