 Organizations / 129
Re: Can we have a Newsgroup for KIDLUG?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:22:01 GMT

Hi Aaron and Alex,

Something often scoffed at, but which has a remarkable power to help FOCUS
one's development activities on what is important, and what is something
"cool
we'd like to do" (yes, it happens in the "real" world too, not just in the
early
years of life :-) is a vision or a mission statement.  Something clear and
concise
that conveys to everyone who reads it what it is that you are doing (or
trying to do).
Typically it winds up being a slightly long single sentence.  For example:

iReady will be the dominant provider of end-to-end internet connectivity
solutions
for non-PC devices that deliver an outstanding customer experience.

From the vision come a set of strategies for achieving that vision, from the
strategies
come projects each project has a specific mission that helps achieve the
vision, from the
mission come clear objectives (what, to whom, and when) which lead to the
work
that needs to be done...

I have a feeling that you have a somewhat amorphous "vision" of what KIDLUG
could/should
be (probably as a consequence of the recent LUG decisions to exclude
"children").  Try to
bring that vision into focus so that you can write it down clearly so anyone
can understand
what you mean (remember, everyone has a different history and therefore
brings a different
point of view to anything they hear or read) and then work toward achieving
that vision.

Good luck!

-Peter

--
Peter A. Vogel
Release Engineering Manager
"Aaron Bergman" <Legomaster24@hotmail.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.org, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.org, Aaron Bergman writes:
Well, frankly, I still haven't a clear idea of what KIDLUG is • supposed to
be or do.

What city is it?  Who is it for?  What population segment does it • address?
What is its mission statement?  How does it differ from the clubs • that TLC
will be setting up for kids?  Etc., etc....

Perhaps you can point me to a charter or manifesto?  That would help • shed
light on where a group for it would go or whether a group even ought • to be
set up or not.

Okay. Kidlug is designed for younger kids who are active in the LUG's.

Younger kids who are active in which LUGs?
You may not relise it but there are some pretty intelegent kids out there • who
are active in kidlug, such as Alex and I, who are not old enough to join • their
local LUG>

We want to give them a LUG of their own which they can relate to, and • has
simpler activities.

Activities such as?
For younger kids under 10 we have some links to lego games, and for older • kids we have message boards, articles, news, and programs.

To keep things simple, the only important document it
has I guess would be the legal notice,

I seem to be unable to find this page...could you give its URL?
Kidlug really is in the making, it doesn't exist yet.

but some articles and links are more advanced for an older age range.

Older age range meaning what?  10+?  10-12?  12-14?  14-16?
Those are actually right on the spot, older starts at about 12.

If you look at our News Areas sction, you
will see it's based for mostly all of the US, but we will not hesitate • to
include international portions in more general areas.

I must admit I'm still confused.  I don't understand where the kids will • hold
their user group meetings. We wouldn't have meetings, to make this easy • for
Kids, but aside from KIDLUG, we may host a general LUG convention, but • that
really is in the works. Sorry about the confusion, perhaps when KIDLUG is
finished it will be easier to interpret. The reason why we don't have such • a
complicated system, is so that we can bring young Lego Maniacs into the
newsgroups, and they participate.

If I haven't answered
anything, please let me know, but do relise that some of what your • asking
for we do not have, for the reasons I stated before.

OK, could you be more specific about which things it does not have? • Perhaps
that would shed light on it.

P.S. If you could be a little more spcific in what I need to do for • your
area on the links page that would be great.

OK, I'll try to be as specific as possible.  On this page:

  http://www.kidlug.org/links.html

Delete this:

  User's Group Network,

and replace it with this:

  Users Group Network,

Probably, it would be best to cut & paste the replacement text rather • than
trying to retype it, because the changes are rather subtle (10 total • character
changes).

Also understand that under our main
page banner rotation, the alt attribute is standerd, so that explains • why
you may see some difference on the main page.

Hmm, well, if you aren't able to affect the ALT attibute directly in that
case, then the only remedy is to remove the LUGNET button image from the
rotation sequence altogether so that the page stops displaying the ALT • text
as "Click Here for more information" for the LUGNET button. It's • possible,
but I just wanted to keep that uniform, because it is actually our main • banner
rotation. If that's the case, then I will hcnage that, and hopefully we • can
resolve some of these issues. Again, I'm really sorry about all this
confusion. I hope we can work this out and move on to other things. Aaron

--Todd