 Organizations / 133
Re: Can we have a Newsgroup for KIDLUG?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 22:42:52 GMT

Aaron Bergman wrote:

We do have rough documents of these papers, but are not typed up yet, and are
a priority. I'm writing a downloadable package, with information like this,
whcih can be distributed upon the joining of membership, or upon request. If
you would like to request one, let me know, and it will be sent ASAP.

Your vision statement should be ONE SENTENCE and you should have it
before you start on the other materials. Why? Because the other
materials should be elaborations or expositions of the vision. They
should follow from it.

If you don't have a vision statement (either implicit or explicit) your
materials will be incoherent at best.

So... stop for a sec and discuss among yourselves what you are trying to
accomplish. Do it now before you waste cycles on developing materials.

I work for Mercator Software. Mercator's vision statement is:

"Mercator, the e-business transformation company. We help companies in
every industry turn their business into an e-business by providing
software essential to this transformation."

Everything we do follows from that statement. All of our positioning,
the products and services we offer, how we deliver it and so forth is in
support of achieving that goal.

Lugnet's vision statement is roughly: (Todd, correct me if I'm wrong)

"Lugnet is the international fan-created LEGO® Users Group Network.
Lugnet is a place for LEGO® fans of all ages to find information, meet
one another, and share ideas. As an independent site by fans, for fans,
it is  neither sponsored nor endorsed by the LEGO Company."

So, when Todd adds a new feature, you should be able to measure it
against the vision above. Does the new feature help fans find
information, meet one another, or share ideas? If it doesn't, Todd ought
not to do it.

LDraw.org's vision statement is roughly: (Tim, correct me if I'm wrong)

"LDraw.org is a place for Centralised LDraw resources. The purpose of
ldraw.org is to make it easy to obtain information about and download
LDraw and related utilities."

So, when Tim makes decisions about what to include, what programs to
review, what resources to include, and so forth, it should be (and
IS!... Tim's doing great) guided by that.

Does that help?
--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!