 Off-Topic / Geek / 623
Re: GNU pkg for ping, traceroute, etc. (Was: Sluggish nntp performance)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 21:46:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeremy Sproat writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Roger D. Parks writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jeremy Sproat writes:
Which GNU package do I get ping and traceroute and host, etc. from?  They're
not in inetutils; they doesn't seem to be anywhere...
Erm... binutils, perhaps?  And try the Cygnus distro whilst you're at it....

Checked that, and checked that also.  Binutils seems to be primarily compiler
tools.  Fileutils is basic file management, copying, moving, linking, etc.
Textutils is basic text manipulation tools.  Inetutils is a decent suite of
servers and clients for telnet, ftp, etc.  But no ping, no traceroute, no
nuthin'.  :-(

I went to DJ Delorie's site http://www.delorie.com/gnu/ and scanned the doc
titles and the distros for "ping" and "trace", but no cigar...

Well.

I've no quick answers today either.

<grump>  Haven't got Linux moiunted on a box local to me, so I can't check that
way either.  I'll have a look at the Caldera distro running on my development
box at home tonight.

You know... the back of the mind claims to have seen something under the GPL
that was a ping/tracroute.  Have you tried Google for this?

Cheers,

Roger