 Off-Topic / Geek / 4736
Re: LUGNET news RSS feed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:55:02 GMT

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 01:14:36AM +0000, Bill Ward wrote:
Thanks - I've been using this to stay on top of LUGNET and it works
great. I use NetNewsWire Lite on MAC OS X, if you care.

Couple things I'd like to see though:

* Put back the "by Author Name" in the title - the author isn't
  displayed otherwise.

Hmmm - never used netnewswire - but can't you have it display the author
tag?  I've seen other readers do that, bloglines.com for instance.

* Do more than 20 articles. I can't always check it often enough to
  stay on top of things the current way. I'd suggest looking at the
  number of articles posted in an average day and using that figure,
  or more. If that means a separate feed than ones used for browser
  sidebars, then so be it.

Looking at yesterday's stats[1] (which misleadingly, have today's date),
that's about 180 posts.  Might get a bit too large, imo.

* Eliminate some hierarchies such as off-topic and admin.statistics
  and loc.* from the feed, as they are of interest only to a limited
  few people. Perhaps offer those as separate feeds if there is
  demand.

I thought of that - it will probably be implemented, as a seperate
feed...  But only after I have some way of tracking posts other than the
avid interface - otherwise, specialized feeds might be empty, if there's
a big discussion going on it one of the off-topic groups, for instance.

* For FTX posts, use the HTML version of the post, not the raw text. I
  know that's a pipe dream, but I had to say it.

If the avid interface provided the HTML version, I'd definitely use it.
As it is, writing an FTX parser is no something I want to do.

With these changes it would be a much more convenient resource. But
even as it is, it's given me a way to read LUGNET again in a
convenient fashion, and I appreciate that!

Glad you like it!

Dan

[1] http://news.lugnet.com/admin/statistics/?n=4511

--