 Off-Topic / Geek / 4729
Re: LUGNET news RSS feed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:27:52 GMT

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:53:31PM +0000, Jake McKee wrote:
I think the easiest way to solve this problem, at least immediately,
is to be able to create a feed per newsgroup or collection of
newsgroups. For instance, you could subscribe to .trains, .trains.org,
or simply an uber.trains feed.

Right - but that would end up with several thousand feeds, which almost
no one actually reads.  Not sure what the solution is - perhaps RSS (or
Atom) support a "category" concept, and then allow on the client side to
filter by category?  Then we can map newsgroups to categories, and allow
the users to filter as they want.

As far as not being able to view the feed in MSIE, one issue is for
user of Pluck (like me) from www.pluck.com, which is an IE feed
reader plugin.

I believe the problem viewing in IE6 was that some characters weren't
being encoded properly - that should be fixed now.  IE5 I believe just
won't show raw XML in the browser, unless there's a DTD found for it.
But unless you're a developer, there's usually no point in looking at
raw XML anyway.

,,,

Running it through feedvalidator.org shows that the funky single quote
is causing grief at the moment, as well as the funny long "-"
character. I saved locally, fixed those two characters (both as part
of this original posting: http://news.lugnet.com/off-
topic/debate/?n=24503) and opened it locally in IE without any
problems at all.

I've encoded all the bodies, author names and subjects of the posts now,
and got a "valid RSS" button from feedvalidator.  In the process I found
out that many of the spamblocks used by LUGNET (both by the server and
by some of the members) end up being invalid email addresses, so I had
to actually filter some of them in the code.

I think this is terrific, and as someone who tends to only keep up
with news and blogs and more with RSS, I'm all over getting this
functionality up and running!

Glad you like it! I think it's going to be useful too. I do need to
actually code a feed now for Peeron - new sets, new parts, etc.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com