 Off-Topic / Geek / 4734
Re: LUGNET news RSS feed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:14:36 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Dan Boger wrote:
I've expanded the Peeron Sidebars idea to include an RSS feed of new
posts.  Not sure if it's going to be as useful as the LUGNET sidebar,
but it was easy to code.

Thanks - I've been using this to stay on top of LUGNET and it works great.  I
use NetNewsWire Lite on MAC OS X, if you care.

Couple things I'd like to see though:

* Put back the "by Author Name" in the title - the author isn't
  displayed otherwise.
* Do more than 20 articles.  I can't always check it often enough
  to stay on top of things the current way.  I'd suggest looking at
  the number of articles posted in an average day and using that
  figure, or more.  If that means a separate feed than ones used
  for browser sidebars, then so be it.
* Eliminate some hierarchies such as off-topic and admin.statistics
  and loc.* from the feed, as they are of interest only to a limited
  few people.  Perhaps offer those as separate feeds if there is demand.
* For FTX posts, use the HTML version of the post, not the raw text.
  I know that's a pipe dream, but I had to say it.

With these changes it would be a much more convenient resource.  But even as it
is, it's given me a way to read LUGNET again in a convenient fashion, and I
appreciate that!