 Off-Topic / Geek / 4721
Re: LUGNET news RSS feed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:40:53 GMT

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message
news:20040623184606.GW22332@peeron.com...

[ ... snipped ... ]

Such customized feeds don't work well as RSS.  I can certainly imagine
some pre-selected filters, and a few seperate feeds - but having a feed
generated just for a specific user won't work well.

[ ... snipped ... ]

Maybe a few specific feeds can be defined and made available.  For the ILTCO
web site I am achieving roughly the same affect as an RSS feed for
lugnet.trains by using PHP's IMAP functions to read the NNTP feed.  A trains
specific RSS feed would be of interest.

I also don't understand why IE can't read the LUGNET RSS feed?  IE doesn't
have any problems with RSS feeds from PostNuke based sites.  All of the
following render fine for me in IE 6.0.

http://www.ncltc.cc/backend.php
http://www.nclug.cc/backend.php
http://www.ldraw.org/backend.php

Why is what you have done for LUGNET different?  I may be an RSS neophyte
here but from the little I have read, the RSS XML format is pretty basic and
simple to implement.  Doing one for the ILTCO site is on my to-do list.

Since it is unlikely anyone will read an RSS feed with a browser all that
really matters is if web sites which implement standard RSS implementations
(like built into PostNuke) can read the LUGNET feed.  I haven't tried it
yet, has anyone else?

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com