 Off-Topic / Geek / 4713
Re: LUGNET news RSS feed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:46:37 GMT

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 01:38:44PM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
If you want to see what it'll look like in a RSS aggregator, or if
you're using a broken browser

Like IE 6.0, for example? What percentage of users use it? Pretty
high, isn't it?

I dunno - about 20% from my logs.  How many of those users actually use
IE6 to read RSS?  Probably very close to 0%.  As it makes really no sense
to try to consume an RSS feed in a web browser.  (Though mozilla does
have some extensions that allow you to do just that).

I find it frustrating that developers either have to allow for MS broken-
ness, or disenfranchise a bunch of users, most of whom want nothing to
do with pro/anti MSness, or just want to use the tools they are given
rather than become involved in installing and supporting other
browsers.

I agree.  Again, any RSS feed was never intended to be read directly in
a web browser.  Do you actually use RSS?

Seems like a no win situation.

Well, there is one very good solution (as explained by an MS fan):

  http://channels.lockergnome.com/news/archives/20040615_why_you_should_dump_internet_explorer.phtml

That link really didn't convince me of why this RSS feed is a value
add, I'm afraid, as it shows all the posts with no structure whatever,
in the order they appear on the server.

Great!  That's exactly what it's supposed to do!  If you use a news
aggragator (which has nothing to do with NNTP, btw), you can now add
LUGNET as a feed, and follow the discussion without having to "poll" the
site, or have it flood your email.  Seems like a good idea to me, but if
it doesn't have any "value add" to you, I guess you'll choose not to use
it.

Dan

--
Dan Boger