 Off-Topic / Geek / 4722
Re: LUGNET news RSS feed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:43:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mike Walsh wrote:

Maybe a few specific feeds can be defined and made available.  For the ILTCO
web site I am achieving roughly the same affect as an RSS feed for
lugnet.trains by using PHP's IMAP functions to read the NNTP feed.  A trains
specific RSS feed would be of interest.

I also don't understand why IE can't read the LUGNET RSS feed?  IE doesn't
have any problems with RSS feeds from PostNuke based sites.  All of the
following render fine for me in IE 6.0.

It's a funky character issue. When you take the funky characters that are used
in Web sites (smart quotes, for instance) dump them as is into an RSS feed, the
browser, and often many readers kick back on it.

It doesn't look like, at this point, Dan is filtering out those characters, but
I could be wrong.

http://www.ncltc.cc/backend.php
http://www.nclug.cc/backend.php
http://www.ldraw.org/backend.php

Why is what you have done for LUGNET different?  I may be an RSS neophyte
here but from the little I have read, the RSS XML format is pretty basic and
simple to implement.  Doing one for the ILTCO site is on my to-do list.

It's not different, it's just that he's included the very important
<description> tag and content (which is often where the funky characters comes
from) in his feeds. Yours look like they lack that crucial bit of info. Are you
planning on adding that? I would certainly appreciate it, personally.

And that's great news on the ILTCO feed. I can't wait!

Since it is unlikely anyone will read an RSS feed with a browser all that
really matters

Yes, but again, I user Pluck (www.pluck.com) which is an IE plugin. So for me,
if a feed doesn't work in IE it doesn't work in my newsreader. And because the
issue here is not IE's display, but rather a problem with funky characters, it's
a bigger issue than just not displaying in the IE browser. When the feed is
having problems, none of the feed readers I tested will pull it up.

is if web sites which implement standard RSS implementations
(like built into PostNuke) can read the LUGNET feed.  I haven't tried it
yet, has anyone else?

This is certainly important, but I think more important than anything when it
comes to RSS is whether it works in feed readers. That's where a huge majority
of users are using RSS.

Jake

---
Jake McKee