 Off-Topic / Geek / 4565 (-20)
  Cambria Earthquake Tracking

For those of you who felt the Cambria earthquake a while ago there is data collection link at (URL). Click on the "Did you feel it?" link. Maggie C. (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.ca, lugnet.loc.us.la, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Population Density & Mapping Application?

(...) Mike, Most of my experience is with software from ESRI. I have not used this specific program from them, but I think it is probably a good fit based on what you've described: (URL) have not worked with this software in many years, but I think (...) (21 years ago, 18-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:Hq2suJ.1Bs2@lugnet.com... [ ... snipped ... ] (...) sounds (...) it's (...) instead (...) an (...) My mapping needs are "approximate", I don't need anything to any real level of (...) (21 years ago, 18-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Population Density & Mapping Application?

(...) Can you explain a bit more what you want to do? Mapping from addresses sounds like a GIS application (GIS is what makes GPS work, among other things... it's the data that the program uses when it shows you where on a map you are, instead of (...) (21 years ago, 18-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Population Density & Mapping Application?

With the cross section of people we have here on LUGNET I am hoping someone may have a suggestion for me for a project I am working on at work. I need to map some of our customers from a geographical and population perspective and am looking for an (...) (21 years ago, 18-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Reinstalling Windows XP & Formating your Hard Drive

(...) "None" and "not too bad, finally", in other words. :) (21 years ago, 9-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Reinstalling Windows XP & Formating your Hard Drive

(...) One more tid bit I'd like to add: turn on the firewall program XP comes with!! It's basic but it's something until you load a better one. Zone Alarm is my choice and it's free at Download.com ((URL) to get Zone Alarm) 1.) Open Network (...) (21 years ago, 7-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Reinstalling Windows XP & Formating your Hard Drive

(...) 4a) Go to (URL) Windows Update> to download all the latest updates. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Install at least all the critical updates, as these fix vulnerabilities exploited by many worms. (...) ROSCO (21 years ago, 7-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Reinstalling Windows XP & Formating your Hard Drive

Today I have the wonderfull pleasure of having to reinstall Windows XP on my laptop. Don't ask why, I don't want to talk about it... =( In any case, begin that I don't reinstall Windows that often I had some trouble remembering how and all the stuff (...) (21 years ago, 6-Dec-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Opening COM port error

(...) Tyler, Happy to be of help! Regarding Garbage Collection, I'm not usually one to criticise without being able to suggest a better alternative. In this case, I think most GC systems could be improved by mimicking the concept of "smart pointers" (...) (21 years ago, 30-Nov-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Zooming around

A friend sent me this. It takes a while to load but it's pretty cool (URL) putting on the splash? You tell me! (21 years ago, 16-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: [Parts Tracker] PT-to-PN Authentication

(...) What it means is say I include an image from peeron.com in my post on lugnet, using the FTX image tag. Now, when you view my post via the web interface, your browser will go to peeron.com to get the image and display it to you. When your (...) (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Matrix Reloaded explained...

(...) SNIP... (...) Huh? less usable enrgy than we can harness be cause of our technology or actually less enrgy to use (some may get instantly changed to unusable types of energy, etc.) is there an internet article about that? I always thought it (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf poll

(...) But now that you have steered the topic into off-topic.geek territory the problem is solved! (very clever Lar!) Maggie C. (21 years ago, 7-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Matrix Reloaded explained...

(...) I was reading the paper this morning and when this article caught my eye I thought of what I'd read here last week. The 'Matrix' movies show their biblical connections (URL) Just wanted to pass it along. Adr. (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Matrix Reloaded explained...

(...) Spot on. And then there's the reason the war started- the humans essentially blotted out the sun to cut off the machines from their solar power. Were they fundamentally unaware that they were cutting off the *only* source of food for humans? (...) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Matrix Reloaded explained...

(...) Hey! Dems fighting words! Shatner's Canadian! Well, that's the entirety of my arguement, really... So I got nothing. Dave K (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Matrix Reloaded explained...

(...) Yeah, but Shatner is a weinie. -->Bruce<-- (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Matrix Reloaded explained...

(...) Well actually you get the same amount of energy out that you put in, just in a differnt form. In this case the heat (which is considered wasted energy that "disappears" into the void, for most things) is actually the desired form of energy. So (...) (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Matrix Reloaded explained...

(...) My problem with the Matrix is that they put (obviously) a lot of work into little easter eggs like that essay expounds on, and have done an generally quite credible job of hanging their mythology carefully - and then they hung the whole thing (...) (21 years ago, 31-Oct-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact