 Off-Topic / Geek / 4562
Re: Population Density & Mapping Application?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 05:35:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mike Walsh wrote:
With the cross section of people we have here on LUGNET I am hoping someone
may have a suggestion for me for a project I am working on at work.

I need to map some of our customers from a geographical and population
perspective and am looking for an application that will help me do this.
For example, I want to identify all the locations on the planet where
company XYZ has locations.  I also want to be able to tag or add data to
each location so I can capture information about the location such as the
number of employees, etc.

Ideally all of this stuff will sit on a database or the data can easily be
exported to Excel for analysis.  If anyone has any suggestions please drop
me a note.  My preference would be for the application to run on Windows
however I can deal with Solaris or Linux as well.

Can you explain a bit more what you want to do? Mapping from addresses sounds
like a GIS application (GIS is what makes GPS work, among other things... it's
the data that the program uses when it shows you where on a map you are, instead
of just what your lat/long are, and the data that you search when you put an
address in to find out how to get there)

Are you saying you have a DB with company addresses in it and you want that
displayed on a rendered map? or something else.

Offhand I would say one person to talk to would be Ken Koleda (MichLTC ILTCO
rep) as he works with GIS apps in his job, IIRC.