 Off-Topic / Geek / 4546
Re: Matrix Reloaded explained...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 03:44:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   Gee, where have I heard all of this before...?

**snip**

   “You’re very clever, young man, very clever,” said the old lady. “But it’s emulators all the way down.”

Very nice! My problem with the whole Matrix thang isn’t Keanu (though he’s awful in absolutely everything he does), and I don’t even really mind that the writers cobbled their little is-it-real pastiche out of a hundred other sources. What really bothers me is that the films take themselves so over-the-top seriously, and too many fans seem to think that real, sophisticated philosophy is being dispensed. No one here seems to have fallen into that particular trap, but I know about a dozen people who think that the Matrix is the first film to really tell it like it is.

My problem with the Matrix is that they put (obviously) a lot of work into little easter eggs like that essay expounds on, and have done an generally quite credible job of hanging their mythology carefully - and then they hung the whole thing on a short screw in drywall.

I can enjoy the Matrii (excepting that horrible speech) as long as I very carefully leave my suspension of disbelief outside the door: 1: humans make lousy batteries. 2: conservation of energy dictates that you can’t get more energy out than you put in.

James