 Off-Topic / Geek / 4550
Re: Matrix Reloaded explained...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:28:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, James Brown wrote:
   My problem with the Matrix is that they put (obviously) a lot of work into little easter eggs like that essay expounds on, and have done an generally quite credible job of hanging their mythology carefully - and then they hung the whole thing on a short screw in drywall.

I can enjoy the Matrii (excepting that horrible speech) as long as I very carefully leave my suspension of disbelief outside the door: 1: humans make lousy batteries. 2: conservation of energy dictates that you can’t get more energy out than you put in.

Spot on.

And then there’s the reason the war started- the humans essentially blotted out the sun to cut off the machines from their solar power. Were they fundamentally unaware that they were cutting off the *only* source of food for humans? And that you can generate electricity in many other ways?

Anyway, I saw Revolutions yesterday. I have to say that I liked it much better than Reloaded. Primarily because there was much less screen time devoted to empty philosophy and the annoying Marovingian (sp?)

Matrix: You can suspend disbelief over a couple of points in exchange for a really cool idea done with great action scenes. Overall a great movie.
Reloaded: This was still fun for some of the action scenes, but there were huge wastes of screen time (too-long multi-Smith fight, stupid rave/love scene, and empty philosophy). Fun but irritating as well.
Revolutions: This had great action scenes and special effects, and much less time wasted on dumb dialog. In comparison to Reloaded, this is far superior. Fun without the irritation of Reloaded, but nothing truly new.

   Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com