 Off-Topic / Geek / 4559
Re: Reinstalling Windows XP & Formating your Hard Drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 17:07:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Ahui Herrera wrote:

Installing XP:

1) Highlight the “Unpartitioned Space” and Press enter.

2) You will then be asked to choose a file system to reformat your hard drive to. You want to choose NTFS without the “(quickformat)” next to it, It should be the third choice.

3) After that just follow the prompts, and let your computer reformat when its done it will reboot itself and then just hang around for any additional prompts (there should be like 2 or 3 during the installation).

4) It will reboot after its done with the installation and then you will be able to begin using Windows XP.

4a) Go to Windows Update to download all the latest updates. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Install at least all the critical updates, as these fix vulnerabilities exploited by many worms.

   5) Sit back and enjoy the freedom and stability that is Windows XP.

ROSCO

One more tid bit I’d like to add: turn on the firewall program XP comes with!! It’s basic but it’s something until you load a better one. Zone Alarm is my choice and it’s free at Download.com (http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10247409.html?tag=lst-0-5 to get Zone Alarm)

1.) Open Network Connections (Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections)

2.) Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

3.) On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following:

To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

HTH

Adr.