 Off-Topic / Geek / 3580 (-20)
  Re: Norton Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. ??

Yeah, I have used PartitionMagic for years and never had problems with it. It's a decent recommendation over the other products being discussed. The interface is straight-forward enough that one refers to the manuals only sparingly. One of the (...) (23 years ago, 27-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:Gs58o4.Hnv@lugnet.com... (...) the (...) Sorry, I should have explained that part. Partition Magic creates the boot disks - one to boot from, the other you insert when it asks which (...) (23 years ago, 27-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Norton Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. ??

Hi! I've used both and they should be able to do what you want if you boot from a DOS-type floppy (make a rescue disk from a Windows '98 computer, works splendid and even starts most common CD-drives) and start Ghost or PQDI from there. Just make (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Norton Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. ??

(...) Thanks. I wasn't sure I followed you on creating two boot disks, though. Could you elaborate on that a bit? Wouldn't one be sufficient? (assuming the boot disk enables Partition Magic to use NTFS formatted drives) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:Gs3HBz.H0L@lugnet.com... (...) I (...) one (...) want (...) get (...) leftover (...) My advice - don't use Ghost or Drive Image. Get Partition Magic. I did this last year with my work (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Norton Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. ??

(...) Dan's advice about installing from scratch is good. But I've also thought of another work-around. A bit more time consuming, but it should work. If you boot from the new drive, since it has 2000 on it, you could dump the contents of the old (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Norton Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. ??

Well, we used an older version of Ghost at PGP, and it was good for what we used it for - restoring a standard image to a pc. This is not what you're asking though, since you want to restore the image contents, but not the drive geometry. You might (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Norton Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. ??

(...) That helps a lot! Thanks! I guess I'm sort of stuck then as I only have one machine with only one internal drive and one external caddy (these are laptop drives). I HAD two machines as late as last week but turned one in. (however I did't have (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Norton Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. ??

(...) Speaking as someone who has much experience with Norton's Ghost, I have to say that I like it a lot. I haven't used Drive Image, so I can't say anything about it. I haven't used the latest version, so some of what I'm about to say may be (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Norton Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. ??

Well my current HD has gotten a bit too small (or I've got a bit too much crud, er, useful stuff packratted away).. I've lined up a larger one, and I have an extra drive cradle so I can put both in my laptop at once (as well as an external floppy to (...) (23 years ago, 25-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Descent: Freespace 1

Way, *way* off topic, but as LUGNET is one of the most visited boards on the Net I'd thought I might find some help here. Does anyone have Freespace 1? And if you do, have you played on Parallax Online? There's a Freespace Frenzy going on today, and (...) (23 years ago, 16-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Drawing triangles in a Z buffer

Graphics Gems covers basic stuff only where the presenter has an innovation. But they've been very good over the years. You can get any of their example source code online. Do pay a visit here: (URL) guys were in Gems IIR, and their book is worth (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

"Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> skrev i meddelandet news:GrGFrK.9nJ@lugnet.com... (...) There must surely be one (or more) in Graphical Gems (URL) (if that URL still is valid, otherwise search for Graphical Gems) a bit dated, c code, but useful. -- (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Drawing triangles in a Z buffer

(...) If you don't mind C code, there's the zAddTriangle() function in stub.c in the ldlite or ldglite source code. The old 1.6 ldlite source is a bit easier to follow since it doesn't have all the extra shaders. Also, it's a linear z-buffer, which (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Drawing triangles in a Z buffer

(...) I may be missing your point/problem but... Think you may need to go bi-linear in your Z calcs. Yes this makes a Suppos'dly one pixel lookup method a two+ per pixel but if you are already using a scan line method you have the precalculated (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Drawing triangles in a Z buffer

Here is one starting point: (URL) of free information, there is at least one quick-and-dirty FAQ under there written by an excited child. You're looking for something about triangle or scan line rasterization with z-buffer. I assume you've done (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Drawing triangles in a Z buffer

Hey all, In trying to implement a LDraw renderer I've been scouring the web looking for raster-painting algorithms. While I've found plenty of line-drawing algorithms (the Bresenham seems to be pretty nice) I haven't found squat for drawing a filled (...) (23 years ago, 13-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Question of the week ...

"Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com> wrote in message news:GqxFst.H48@lugnet.com... (...) for new stories. Dan (23 years ago, 4-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Now that's geeky

For those who want to know more about the Linux kernel, but can't be bothered wading through 4 million lines of code... (URL) (23 years ago, 3-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Slashdot (was:Bad News for Brickbay!?)

(...) Mentioning one or more of the slashdot "editors" often helps, too. ROSCO (23 years ago, 2-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact