 Off-Topic / Geek / 3579
Re: Norton Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. ??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:45:14 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:Gs58o4.Hnv@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Daniel Crichton writes:
Thanks. I wasn't sure I followed you on creating two boot disks, though.
Could you elaborate on that a bit? Wouldn't one be sufficient? (assuming • the
boot disk enables Partition Magic to use NTFS formatted drives)

Sorry, I should have explained that part. Partition Magic creates the boot
disks - one to boot from, the other you insert when it asks which contains
the mini version of Partition Magic - it's too big to fit onto the same disk
as the boot files and the other PM utilities that get put on there. The mini
PM is great - it's a full Windows style GUI with mouse support, on PM pre v5
it was a console app that required you to press keys to jump around the
simple menus. The ones in v5 and up (get v7 as it supports XP too!) are
really easy to use - to resize the partition after you have copied it to the
second drive just drag the right hand bar that represents the end of the
partition all the way to the end of the disk marker. When you hit Apply the
changes are made. I've only ever lost data once - I stupidly run a full
check on an 8GB drive and decided I couldn't wait for it to finish, so I
rebooted the machine, little did I realise that a check also does some disk
writing and I lost my whole drive as PM couldn't repair the partition
information. But since then I've used it many times and I've never lost
anything - just make sure you don't have a power cut during the resize (or
at least keep the data on the old drive until you've tested the new one
boots up ok).

Dan