 Off-Topic / Geek / 3574
Re: Norton Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. ??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:18:49 GMT

Well, we used an older version of Ghost at PGP, and it was good for what
we used it for - restoring a standard image to a pc. This is not what
you're asking though, since you want to restore the image contents, but
not the drive geometry. You might be able to get away with it, as long
as you're able to change the partition size on the fly after the
restore. That was not a trivial task, last time I tried to do it on a
windows box. Then again, it's been a while.

I take it that reinstalling your system on the new drive is not an
option? It's a good idea to do, if you can, just because you will really
get rid of a lot of, errr... stuff, that you don't need.

Sorry I can't offer more insight... Do tell how it went, once it's done.

:)

Dan

PS - I'd make sure I have a good backup of everything off the laptop,
   just in case.