 Off-Topic / Geek / 3576
Re: Norton Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. ??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:32:06 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:Gs3HBz.H0L@lugnet.com...
Well my current HD has gotten a bit too small (or I've got a bit too much
crud, er, useful stuff packratted away).. I've lined up a larger one, and • I
have an extra drive cradle so I can put both in my laptop at once (as well
as an external floppy to boot from if I need to).

I want to image my current drive to the new one, leaving it formatted as • one
big NTFS partition (I'm running Win2000). I can't just copy, because I • want
the registry, drivers, etc etc. all set up the same. The drive that will • get
slammed currently has a different OS on it (Win 2000 Server) which I don't
want. It is important that after the image happens, I have all the • leftover
free space available to me in the same volume.

My advice - don't use Ghost or Drive Image. Get Partition Magic. I did this
last year with my work PC - install Partition Magic under W2K (has to be
Pro, it won't install under Server as you would need to buy Server Magic
instead which is much more expensive), create the 2 boot disks, then boot
from them. You can now do an exact copy of the partition on your old drive
to your new drive using the copy option (it can also be used to make a copy
of a partition to the same physical drive which is useful if you need to
keep a virgin install around in case you mess up the active one). When
that's done reboot using the boot disks again, and resize the partition on
the new drive to the full size of the drive and make it active. Then shut
down the machine, make the new drive the master (or however you handle it on
a laptop!), and when it boots up you should find that you have the exact
same W2K installation but with more space available.

Dan