 Off-Topic / Geek / 3571
3570  |  3572
Subject:
Norton Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. ??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:21:35 GMT

Well my current HD has gotten a bit too small (or I've got a bit too much
crud, er, useful stuff packratted away).. I've lined up a larger one, and I
have an extra drive cradle so I can put both in my laptop at once (as well
as an external floppy to boot from if I need to).

I want to image my current drive to the new one, leaving it formatted as one
big NTFS partition (I'm running Win2000). I can't just copy, because I want
the registry, drivers, etc etc. all set up the same. The drive that will get
slammed currently has a different OS on it (Win 2000 Server) which I don't
want. It is important that after the image happens, I have all the leftover
free space available to me in the same volume.

I have been doing some research and can't quite tell if Ghost or Drive Image
is the way to go (didn't see any other alternatives). Both have quite
negative reviews as well as quite positive if you search around. I have a
copy of the Ghost 2002 manual as a .pdf (you can download it from
symantec... props to them for that) and it claims it supports NTFS which is
quite important. (some of the reviews say it does not)

Any of you have experience with either and/or words of wisdom/caution? It's
gotta be done soon, I am down to my last 2G of free space and the system's
thrashing for lack of space when I do defrags.