 Off-Topic / Geek / 3566
Re: Drawing triangles in a Z buffer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:26:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Hey all,

In trying to implement a LDraw renderer I've been scouring the web looking
for raster-painting algorithms.  While I've found plenty of line-drawing
algorithms (the Bresenham seems to be pretty nice) I haven't found squat for
drawing a filled triangle or quad.

I've pretty much figured out how to draw a triangle in 2d based on the
Bresenham line-drawing algorithm, but I'm frankly stumped when it comes to
the z-buffer.  What I *do* have is absolutely riddled with floating-point
divides, and doesn't quite work anyway (having incorrectly determined the
z-slope of the triangle in order to determine the z-depth at an arbitrary
point).

Does anyone have an algorithm they'd be willing to share?

Alternatively, is there a specific keyword I should search for that would
help me find what I need in Google or AltaVista?

Cheers,
- jsproat

I may be missing your point/problem but...

Think you may need to go bi-linear in your Z calcs. Yes this makes
a Suppos'dly one pixel lookup method a two+ per pixel but if you are
already using a scan line method you have the precalculated values
right at hand. Problem shows up in shadow edges and in some wierd
triangles that have mutual or harmonic pixel positions. Is much the
same with texture calculations and pixel-texl-edge intersections.

Only other way out of the problem is more bits of depth
or more pixels per render-cell/pixel. Ugh!

Check out this site for leads in your quest
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/pbourke

Best
DaveG