 Off-Topic / Geek / 1562
Re: Recreational vehicles and more questions about the US
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:56:05 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

"Tom McDonald" <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> writes:

To be perfectly vague, there is large (which requires no additional
license) and larger (Which does :) I can't explain it, and I don't
know the maximum size of a vehicle that can be driven with an
ordinary license. And it can vary from amongst states.

Most places use a weight rating of somewhere around 20000 pounds (the
max
the vehicle can carry, not the actual weight of the vehicle).  If a
truck
has air brakes, that usually means you need the special license.

Perhaps it is related to the number of seats?  That would sound
reasonable.  At home, one can drive a fairly large vehicle with a
normal license.  But once the number of seats exceed 6 (or something
similar), you'll need a special "light bus" license.

That is a different license over here, called a chauffeurs license,
needed
when you drive a vehicle that carries more than 8 (?) people.

I really wonder why people need to drive around in oversized
trucks all the time.

For a lot of people, the size of the car is a safety issue, real or
not.

I suppose so.  Of course, if "everybody else" has a large vehicle, it
is probably a real safety issue.

But I would say that not only the weight of the vehicle matters in a
collision: The way the chassis compress also matters pretty much.

In Norway, how much of that price can be attributed to taxes?

A lot.  Frankly, I don't know the exact figure.

But it is largely an environmental issue: People accept the fact that
driving a car is an environmental hazard, and accept to pay a bit for
it.