 Off-Topic / Geek / 1558
Re: Recreational vehicles and more questions about the US
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:26:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Chris Maddison writes:
(1) Israeli Scouts != US Girl scouts. These two are oh-so-different... I'll
expand upon request, but beware, it'll be a long post :-)

Sure, why not.
-Chris

XFUT .o-t.fun

OK... where should I start...

(Just a few terms so you know what I'm talking about: groups are organized by
age. A "Shevet" is a local group, containing kids of various ages.)

Israel in general is a very outdoors country. The climate is pretty warm even
in the "cold" mountainious areas (no, we are NOT all a desert!), and people go
outdoors a lot - especially in rural areas. This definitely applies to the
Scouts, and if it's not raining we often have our "peula"s (1) outside.

Why do I mention this? Because a major part of the Scouts in Israel is going
out and being in the "wild".
A few examles of things we do:

--each group goes to a minimum of ~4 trips a year. And these are literally
*field* trips, in actual fields (or mountains, or woods). 4th graders (the
youngest group usually to join the Scouts) get one two-day trip, 5th graders
normally get two of these, and older groups go on multi-day trips, with 9th
graders (6) having a 5-day trip with outdoor camping and navigating.
Sometimes, there are all-Shevet trips, with all age groups going together and
having fun...

--During the weekly meetings, kids learn (thru fun activities and games) all
sorts of values, (like working in groups, respecting people that are different
than you, that type of values) as well as patriotic values. Kids also learn a
lot about the country's history and culture. Naturally, the older the group,
the more complex the values and the more direct "peula"s (1) can get. Older
kids often get involved in community doings.
--At various points during the year, the kids also go thru "practical
scouting" sessions, in which they learn to tie logs together (ugh, that's
vague. There's a better term than "tie", but I don't know the name in english)
to create fairly stable structures. There's also the Ash Layla.

--Once in a while we have "night field training", or "Ash Layla" (2), in which
we go (at night) to nearby woods, and we do all sorts of fun and cool things
that were actually very useful and needed in Israel (then Palestine) for the
various fighting groups that fought for independence... they teach us things
like camouflage (3), silent walks (how to walk quietly), iron numbers,
"pazzatzta" (4), "zarkor" (5) and other things.

--Eighth graders (13-14 y/o) go through a "promise" session (takes up most of
the year) in which they learn the core values of the Scouts (respect,
friendship, helping out others, generousity, being active in the community)
and they promise to fulfill them.
--Ninth graders go thru a full year of training to become counselors. Even
this training is through constant activities and lots of fun.
--10th, 11th and 12th graders can either be counselors, activists, or "young
leaders". The latter are usually 12th graders, and they are often in charge of
keeping the whole Shevet together. There are also adult supervisors to every
Shevet.

--Every summer (the best part!) we have a "Tzfonburi", which is a version of a
Jimbury (sp?). All the Shevets from the whole area gather for an in-the-woods
camp for x days (7). Every group builds their own structure, using the
"practical scouting" techniques they learned during the year. They later sleep
(in sleeping bags, on the ground) in the structure they built.

Well... that's just a few things. Do you think it's the same in the US girl
Scouts? I doubt it.

-Shiri

P.S. I was in the Scouts in 4th and 5th grades, and then later rejoined in 9th
grade. Going through the "training course" to be a counselor (last year) was
the best thing that ever happened to me, in many aspects; it was great fun, I
acquired excellent friends, and I learned SO much. I'm pretty sad I had to
leave the Scouts, I would've loved to counsel a group this year.

(1) translation? I dunno. Class? Session? Activity?
(2) Short for "Imun Sad'e Layli", if you know Hebrew.
(3) Like this once, the counselors showed us how the aformentioned khaki
uniforms are better camouflage than white OR black clothes.
(4) OMG, my translation is horrible. When the leader yells "pazatz-ta!", the
group (walking in file line) has to fall flat to the ground, alternating sides
(for example, if the first guy drops to the left, the next will go to the
right, etc.)
(5) that's when an enemy helicopter shines a light on the area; you must fold
your hands over your head in some way and stand completely still, so that the
overhead pilot won't notice you.
(6) the highest grade that is still counseled. 10th graders and up get to be
counselors themselves.
(7) x = ...3 days for 4-5 graders
        ...5 days for 6-8 graders
        ...8 days for 9-12 graders.