 Off-Topic / Geek / 1539
Re: Recreational vehicles and more questions about the US
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:47:12 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:
And the gas prices.  There were lot of moaning over the recent raise
in gas prices, but please keep in mind that home where I live, gas
prices are _still_ much more than twice as steep!  And Norway is a
major oil producing country.  Of course, with the large vehicles you
drive, I can understand the gas expenses is a major part of the
household budget.

Part of the reason is that the US government heavily subsidizes most, if not all, of the automotive
industry.  I once read the US local/state/federal governments shell out between ten and 15 thousand
dollars per vehicle on a US road.  This money is used for road construction/maintaince, tax breaks
on the oil/automotive industry , etc.  I imagine the relatively high prices in Norway reflect the
true cost of driving, something America is unwilling/unable to do.

-Chris