 Off-Topic / Geek / 1561
Re: Recreational vehicles and more questions about the US
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 07:03:16 GMT

"Tom McDonald" <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> writes:

To be perfectly vague, there is large (which requires no additional
license) and larger (Which does :) I can't explain it, and I don't
know the maximum size of a vehicle that can be driven with an
ordinary license. And it can vary from amongst states.

Perhaps it is related to the number of seats?  That would sound
reasonable.  At home, one can drive a fairly large vehicle with a
normal license.  But once the number of seats exceed 6 (or something
similar), you'll need a special "light bus" license.

I really wonder why people need to drive around in oversized
trucks all the time.

For a lot of people, the size of the car is a safety issue, real or
not.

I suppose so.  Of course, if "everybody else" has a large vehicle, it
is probably a real safety issue.

But I would say that not only the weight of the vehicle matters in a
collision: The way the chassis compress also matters pretty much.

In Norway, how much of that price can be attributed to taxes?

A lot.  Frankly, I don't know the exact figure.

But it is largely an environmental issue: People accept the fact that
driving a car is an environmental hazard, and accept to pay a bit for
it.

If my memory serves me correctly, which it might not (so please
correct me if I'm wrong here) Norway is a monarchy. Does that have
any bearing on why [more] Norwegians don't complain about their gas
prices? In what ways can it be done there?

People do complain!  I can't compare with the US, having been there
only two weeks (!), and I don't drive in Norway.  (In fact, I only
drive when on vacation.  It was "fun" to drive on the left side of the
road in Scotland...)

There may be a difference in the way people think about economy: My
perception is that people in Norway are more familiar with the idea of
paying for a certain good if it is indeed harmful in some way.  We
have insanely steep taxes on tobacco and alcohol as well.

I wouldn't attribute this to the monarchy.  The monarchy is sorta a
joke: The king does have constitutional power, but has never used it.
If the king did indeed use his power, I'm sure Norway would be voted a
republic very fast.  The king sorta only serves as an attraction to
attract tourists.  Oh, and I assume some Norwegians are nationalistic
enough to actually appreciate the monarchy, but I don't know any!  :-)

The last time the king used the constitutional power was upon the
German attack on the 9th of April 1940, when he declined to resign.

Yes, even in the opinion of some Americans. Here's something my
wife does which helps: on trips she'll either bring ahead of time
(most of the time) or briefly go shopping for fruit on the way.

Yes, we did this a lot as well, and it worked pretty nicely!

Fredrik