 Off-Topic / Geek / 1114
Re: Is it possible to run Win98 and WinNT on the same machine?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 00:52:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Selçuk Göre writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
What is it about 98 that you like that NT doesn't give you? NT 4 and 98
are quite similar in look and feel, and I'd argue that NT is a bit
better in system control.

I'll give you two things: ICS (Internet connection sharing) which is only
relevant if you have a network at home, and DirectX7 which is only relevant if
you are into 3D games. If either one is relevant it can be pretty compelling.

I don't think so (note, it's an opinion). Look and feel is the same, but if • you
are a little bit more than a common MS Office user who frequently utilizing
very non standard software/hardware combinations it is somewhat different. My
PCs (including the one at job) is a testbed (with a uncoverd case) at the same
time, I'm happy with Win98 way of HW handling. Sure NT is better in the exact
meaning of "system control" and probably much less sucky compared to Win98, • but
when it comes to compatibility and easyness in hardware administration, IMHO,
Win98 is better. I mean I'm not get used to NT much yet, but still can't see
anything comparable to System applet in Win98 Control Panel, and its PNP
function not work as nice as the one from Win98 (I don't mean Win98 PNP works
"nice", I'm just comparing the two. I always miss the good old days of jumpers
and dipswitches..:-)

You've got a point here, but that's only one side of control. NT doesn't crash
as often as 98 and it doesn't lock up as often either. The thing I miss most
(from NT) is the task manager. The thing I miss most from 98/95 is the system
control panel.

Regards,
Steve Hodge