 Off-Topic / Geek / 1101
Re: Is it possible to run Win98 and WinNT on the same machine?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:12:09 GMT

Selçuk <teyyareci> <sgore@nospam.superonline.com> wrote in article
<Fow1u0.KIs@lugnet.com>...
We recently purchased I-DEAS CAD software which requires WinNT to run. • Being
CAD operator, I'm the one who should change his OS. I'm get used to Win98 • and
don't want to migrate fully to NT. So, is it possible to run both Win98 • and
WinNT on the same machine (from two different partitions, of course)? • Does
WinNT have a boot manager like OS/2 had? Do you know any • sharware/freeware boot
managers that can do the job?

Hello Selçuk,

I personally only have experience installing NT on machines with W95
already installed.  However, I took a look through Technet and came across
an article that somewhat addresses your question.  However, it seems to
relate more to installing W98 on a machine that already has NT on it.  And
it sounds like you are trying to do the opposite.

The article is from an older Technet, I'll take a look at a more recent
version when I get into work this afternoon to see if I can find anything
more comprehensive.

In the meantime, this may provide you some insight.  The article also
mentions some documentation that is supposed to be on the W98 source CD.
(Sorry if the formatting doesn't work, I cut and pasted this directly from
the CD)

You cannot install Windows 98 on a computer running any version of Windows
NT. However, you can configure your computer to dual boot Windows 98 and
Windows NT 4.x or earlier provided you follow these guidelines:
- Windows 98 must be set up in a different hard disk or partition than
Windows NT.
- Drive C must be a FAT16 partition and must meet the minimum disk space
requirements for a Windows 98 installation (195 MB of free hard-disk space
for a typical installation).
- Run Windows 98 Setup by selecting Windows 95 from the Boot Loader
Operating System Selection menu that appears at system startup. If Windows
95 does not appear on this menu, select MS-DOS instead.
If the Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) stops responding, you can use the Windows
NT recovery disks to restore the Windows NT boot sector.
- You cannot install Windows 98 to a directory with a shared Windows
3.1x/Windows NT configuration. You need to install Windows 98 in a
different directory.
- If your computer is not configured to dual boot MS-DOS and Windows NT,
and you want that configuration, configure it to dual boot
MS-DOS and Windows NT before you start Windows 98 Setup.

If Windows NT is already installed, Windows 98 Setup adds itself as an
entry to the Windows NT boot menu to allow the user to select between
Windows 98 or Windows NT when starting the computer.

For more information on how to install Windows 98 on a computer running
Windows NT, see “Installing Windows 98 on a System Running Windows NT” and
“Setting Up a Dual-Boot Configuration with Windows NT” in \Win98 \Setup.txt
on your Windows 98 compact disc.

To start Windows 98 Setup from Windows NT
1. Start your computer in the usual way.
2. Select Windows 95 from the Boot Loader Operating System Selection menu
that appears at system startup. If Windows 95 does not appear on this menu,
select MS-DOS instead.
3. If you were able to start Windows 95, follow the instructions in
“Upgrading Windows 95 Keeping Current Settings” or “Upgrading Windows 95
Changing Current Settings” earlier in this chapter.
– Or –
If you started MS-DOS instead, follow the instructions in “Performing a
New Installation” earlier in this chapter.
4. Edit the Boot.ini file as explained in the following procedure “To edit
the Boot.ini file.”

To edit the Boot.ini file
1. In Windows Explorer, click View, click Options, and then click Show all
files.
2. Make sure Hide file extensions for known file types is not checked, and
then click OK.
3. Right-click the Boot.ini file, and then click Properties.
4. Clear the Read-only check box, and then click OK.
5. Right-click the Boot.ini file, click Copy, right-click a blank area of
the Windows Explorer dialog box, and then click Paste.
A backup copy with the file name Copy of Boot.ini is created.
6. Double-click the Boot.ini file to open it.
7. Add the name and location of Windows NT in the [Operating Systems]
section of the file. For example:

[Operating Systems]
C:\Winnt="Windows NT 4.0"
C:\"Microsoft Windows"

8. Save and close the Boot.ini file.
9. Right-click the Boot.ini file, and then click Properties.
10. Select the Read-only check box, and then click OK.

I hope that helps a bit.
Regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm