 Off-Topic / Geek / 1105
Re: Is it possible to run Win98 and WinNT on the same machine?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:55:27 GMT

Thank you very much guys,..:-)

Tried several things, and find that the most appropriate one is a small
freeware named "Ranish Partiton Manager" (exist at winfiles.com) which is a
very small (only about 100K with documentation) but effective program
performing partitioning, formating, boot management and lossless partition
resizing (in some cases) at the same time. It enables the user creating more
than one primary partition (fdisk sucks at this) on a harddrive which is (I
thought befor Mike's message) a must for booting OSes from MS. It also
enables MS OSes boot flawlessly from partitions placed at beyond the first 2
gigs. It required me to start everything from scratch (I don't have the version
4 of Partition Magic which is the seemingly only available software that does
FAT32x) but it works very fine now. (1.5 gigs NTFS at the beginning for WinNT
workstation, and 7 gigs FAT32x at the end for Win98)

By the way, Mike, you mentioned that there is a driver that enables WinNT to
read FAT32 partitions. Is it an update? Where can I get it?

Selçuk

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mike Stanley writes:

Yep, doing it right now on 3 different machines.  One machine, in
fact, has Windows Millenium, WinNT 4 (workstation), WinNT 4 (server),
and Windows 2000 (advanced server) on it...

There are some partitioning issues you'll be faced with, and you may
run into problems if your first primary partition is fat32 and not
fat16, but it is definitely doable.

If you're willing to wipe, fdisk, and set the machine up from scratch
here's what I have done before:

Primary
C: 1 gig fat16 - where Win98 lives (and more importantly the NT
boot files)

Extended
D: 1 gig ntfs - where NT lives (logical drive)
E: the rest, and if huge (say more than a gig) I make it fat32.

And I use the fat32 driver for NT from sysinternals to let it look at
the fat32 partition.  That way both OS's get use of all the shared
space.  If less than a gig, stick with fat16 for "the rest".