 Off-Topic / Geek / *1130 (-20)
  Re: NTFS driver for Linux?

stock RedHat61-supplied at this point. I'll go through a rebuild today & see if I can find a driver in the kit; I hadn't realized that one might already be there. thanks, guys. -- -Steven "Nothin' But Net!" (URL) wrote... (...) (25 years ago, 3-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: NTFS driver for Linux?

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:50:47 GMT "Steven Vore" <svore@mindspring.com> wrote concerning 'Re: NTFS driver for Linux?': (...) are you using a stock kernel or a custom compiled one? I'm not sure if the stock will have ntfs support by default... you might (...) (25 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: NTFS driver for Linux?

Hmm. I'm running 2.2.12, mount says that ntfs isn't supported. Is this something I should need a newer version (I see 2.2.13 & 14 on kernelnotes.org) or just some hints on how to use what I've already got? -- -Steven "Nothin' But Net!" (URL) Hodge" (...) (25 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Is it possible to run Win98 and WinNT on the same machine?

(...) You mean you don't get more data than you know what to do with when you go to Administrative Tools and run Event Viewer? I usually get enough data to figure out what's going on at least. Fixing it may be another problem. (25 years ago, 2-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: NTFS driver for Linux?

(...) to (...) Yep, it's in the 2.2 kernel. I assume that the write support will no longer by experiemental in the upcomming 2.4 kernel, but until then make sure you can recover from a trashed partition. I've tried it in readonly mode breifly, with (...) (25 years ago, 1-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: NTFS driver for Linux?

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:39:09 GMT "Steven Vore" <svore@mindspring.com> wrote concerning 'NTFS driver for Linux?': (...) IIRC, the kernel comes with one, the readonly isn't even experimental - the readwrite is... just grab the latest and recompile :) (...) (25 years ago, 1-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  NTFS driver for Linux?

Anyone found/seen a good driver that'll allow my dual-boot Linux system to access the NTFS volume? Read-only's ok, though of course I'd prefer r/w. I've tried one I found (can't recall the URL, but the README has the names Martin von Lowis and Regis (...) (25 years ago, 1-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Is it possible to run Win98 and WinNT on the same machine?

(...) One thing NT gives me, that 98 doesn't, is a cute little error message indicating that one of my devices isn't responding. No mention of which device, or where to find out. And everything seems to be working, so no obvious clues. Oh yeah. On (...) (25 years ago, 1-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: multiple email accounts

well there 'ya go then, you're set. see who needs "real" tech support when you've got geeky legomaniacs? :-) -- -Steven "Nothin' But Net!" (URL) Bauman" <baumans@ptdprolog.net> wrote in message news:Fp82I2.JyD@lugnet.com... (...) (25 years ago, 1-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Free email

I had figured that a totally web based mail would be better for Taya but there is merit in your suggestions, thanks, all! (...) (25 years ago, 1-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: multiple email accounts

to send messages from a different account than default, use File-Send Message Using Steven Vore wrote in message ... (...) (25 years ago, 31-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: multiple email accounts

(...) Also, if you want to divide any of the incoming mail into separate subfolders of your inbox, you can use the Inbox Assistant. I've got three such folders... Important, work, family, and you can also filter out junk with it. John (RAMS!) (...) (25 years ago, 31-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: multiple email accounts

Just add accounts (Tools|Accounts, Add, Mail). They'll all show up in your Inbox folder and all outgoing mail will be "from" one account though, I believe. To get even fancier, see OE's "Identies" which allows multiple people to use their own set of (...) (25 years ago, 31-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Free email

(...) Well, I'll tell you this much - don't choose hotmail. They don't have ads for gaming, though they do have ads for chatting. The biggest prob, though, is the trash mail I get - unsuitable for any child. I ignore it, but a kid might just check (...) (25 years ago, 31-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Free email

Hi Larry! Do you use Outlook or Outlook Express for your mail client? If so, how about signing up with NetZero and setting an account up for her there? You don't have to use the dialup after you sign up and it gives you a POP3 account that you could (...) (25 years ago, 31-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Free email

Can someone suggest a free email service that is suitable for kids? What I am looking for is one that doesn't have ads for gaming, etc. in its banners. Other than that I haven't really thought about what it means to be "suitable for kids" although I (...) (25 years ago, 31-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Is it possible to run Win98 and WinNT on the same machine?

(...) I'll give you two things: ICS (Internet connection sharing) which is only relevant if you have a network at home, and DirectX7 which is only relevant if you are into 3D games. If either one is relevant it can be pretty compelling. (...) you (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Is it possible to run Win98 and WinNT on the same machine?

(...) (URL) $39, but that's not a bad price. Course, you could go the other route and get their new NTFS for 95/98: (URL) stuff rocks. Especially their NT tools. (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  multiple email accounts

I am generally pretty knowledgeable about such things, but I do not know the answer to the following situation: I would like to have multiple email addresses for specific purposes. My ISP allows for 4 and I can always pick up other addresses from (...) (25 years ago, 28-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Netscape and Javascript

(...) I've had the same thing happen too. I thought it was a fluke. We're running the same versions of Netscape and NT although I don't know which service pack we've got. Interesting. -Duane (25 years ago, 27-Jan-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact