 Off-Topic / Fun / 9038
Re: The "Unknown" Santa Fe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 01:51:24 GMT

I have an unopened Technic Space Shuttle.  I've never seen one opened.  And
it kills me that I have not opened this one, but one day in a 100 years, my
kids (not even close to reality yet) will have something fun from my
generation to play with still sealed.  Hey, they might even make a buck or
two at my expense!

-Rob

"Maggie Cambron" <mcambron@pacbell.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Musil writes:
I think that the train registry for the 10020 is a great idea!  When I • got
my first three sets, I quickly opened all of the sets to see the • numbers,
but then after posting the sets numbers, on the Internet
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=12973>, I quickly • realized
that I decreased the value of the set by opening the "Limited Edition" • set.

Hey, cool, my number is between your two!

I guess this begs the question.  Did you buy them to enjoy them or to • make
money from them?  I'm not judging, I'm just saying that if you bought • them
for yourself, to build and enjoy, then I think it's fantastic that you've
opened them.  I think this *increases* the value... for you.  And I think
that's the most important thing.

I got the call and... *sigh*... it's a losing battle....

Which brings me to my question.
Is the "Unknown" set kept unopened worth more than a known number??  I • would
have to say yes.  Why?  1) This is the first ever numbered limited • edition
sets!!  2) Lego has said that they will produce more sets without the
limited edition numbering scheme.  3) The set is a great set, but a • higher
sought after set with the limited edition numbering scheme.
So, I believe the next six that I have ordered  (Three on Feb.28th and • three
on March 1st) will remain in the box...unopened.

This may sound a bit snotty, so I apologize in advance.  But I honestly • feel
this way:

If you never open it, how can you have any fun with it?

I personally can't imagine not opening any LEGO set I buy.  I don't own • any
unopened sets, that would feel too much like collecting.  I guess I've
always seen LEGO as a participation hobby.  :)

This too may sound a bit snotty, but when I first got into LEGO I couldn't
afford to even buy a single copy of every set I would have liked to have
(it's true! I'm NOT Paradisa complete!).  It's only in the past few years • that
my circumstances have improved to the point where I pretty much can.  So • if I
like a set I buy at least one to open and one to keep (sometimes two since • I
have two kids).  It's one of the perq's of getting older (along with your • face
not breaking out anymore) and I'm darned well going to enjoy it.

<snip> ...I'm sure I won't be able
to order before the 'numbered' ones are gone, so I'd be glad to know that
I'll be able to get a copy of the set anyway.  It matters not in the • least
to me that it won't be numbered or limited.

But suppose you DID want a numbered one and either didn't have the means • now,
or are currently in a dark age and don't even know about the set, but say • three
years from now you suddenly experience a LEGO renaissance and greatly • desire
one of these limited edition sets. [apologies for run-on sentence]  Then
because there are those who will hang onto MISB copies, you may have a • shot at
one.

Maggie C.
Lugnet #136 (Shell Tanker wagon!)

FUT appropriate group