 Off-Topic / Fun / 9037
Re: The "Unknown" Santa Fe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 01:14:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Musil writes:
I think that the train registry for the 10020 is a great idea!  When I got
my first three sets, I quickly opened all of the sets to see the numbers,
but then after posting the sets numbers, on the Internet
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=12973>, I quickly realized
that I decreased the value of the set by opening the "Limited Edition" set.

Hey, cool, my number is between your two!

I guess this begs the question.  Did you buy them to enjoy them or to make
money from them?  I'm not judging, I'm just saying that if you bought them
for yourself, to build and enjoy, then I think it's fantastic that you've
opened them.  I think this *increases* the value... for you.  And I think
that's the most important thing.

I got the call and... *sigh*... it's a losing battle....

Which brings me to my question.
Is the "Unknown" set kept unopened worth more than a known number??  I would
have to say yes.  Why?  1) This is the first ever numbered limited edition
sets!!  2) Lego has said that they will produce more sets without the
limited edition numbering scheme.  3) The set is a great set, but a higher
sought after set with the limited edition numbering scheme.
So, I believe the next six that I have ordered  (Three on Feb.28th and three
on March 1st) will remain in the box...unopened.

This may sound a bit snotty, so I apologize in advance.  But I honestly feel
this way:

If you never open it, how can you have any fun with it?

I personally can't imagine not opening any LEGO set I buy.  I don't own any
unopened sets, that would feel too much like collecting.  I guess I've
always seen LEGO as a participation hobby.  :)

This too may sound a bit snotty, but when I first got into LEGO I couldn't
afford to even buy a single copy of every set I would have liked to have
(it's true! I'm NOT Paradisa complete!).  It's only in the past few years that
my circumstances have improved to the point where I pretty much can.  So if I
like a set I buy at least one to open and one to keep (sometimes two since I
have two kids).  It's one of the perq's of getting older (along with your face
not breaking out anymore) and I'm darned well going to enjoy it.

<snip> ...I'm sure I won't be able
to order before the 'numbered' ones are gone, so I'd be glad to know that
I'll be able to get a copy of the set anyway.  It matters not in the least
to me that it won't be numbered or limited.

But suppose you DID want a numbered one and either didn't have the means now,
or are currently in a dark age and don't even know about the set, but say three
years from now you suddenly experience a LEGO renaissance and greatly desire
one of these limited edition sets. [apologies for run-on sentence]  Then
because there are those who will hang onto MISB copies, you may have a shot at
one.

Maggie C.
Lugnet #136 (Shell Tanker wagon!)

FUT appropriate group