 Off-Topic / Fun / 8577 (-20)
  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes: My point is that, if you use selective observation as you have done, it's (...) ??? Really? Please prove and do this for Monty Python's Holy Grail and The Matrix... :-) John (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

(...) This only helps to reinforce my assertation that LotR is basically Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off. Cheers, - jsproat (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

(...) So, any time four characters unite against a powerful enemy, it's derivative of Tolkien? (...) So, any time an old character has a pre-story history with the enemy, it's derivative of Tolkien? And I would point out that Gandalf isn't (...) (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

(...) That's not a bad point, and I should have specified "major 20th century works of Western fantasy. All of these Victorian Witchcraft writers played their part, but honestly none can be said to have had the impact of Arthur, Gandalf, or Harry. (...) (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

I fully agree that lending aspects from other litriture or sources is valid and can lead to greater creativity and fantastic works. Shakespear's plays were nearly all reworkings of existing stories, Tolkiens LotR contains many aspects and concepts (...) (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Saw the movie today! (bit OT)

(...) I'm an outsider, too, but if you remember what was on the children's fantasy list 20 years ago, there were a tremendous number of books about witchcraft, not derivative of those things either. Susan Cooper doesn't count (too Arthurian) but (...) (23 years ago, 5-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Gay-o-meter (Was Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice... who cares!)

(...) That just means you're a closet heterosexual. Dave! (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Gay-o-meter (Was Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice... who cares!)

Mr L F Braun wrote in message ... (...) I'm gay and it gave me 38%. Guess I'll have to turn in my card :-) Kevin ---...--- NEW Tank Engine custom train set: (URL) Annual SYSTEM Creativity Contest: (URL) Lego Kits & Custom models: (URL) Lego parts (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Throwing Down the Gauntlet (was Re: 2nd Annual Space Building Contest?)

(...) Yeah... geez, Richard- what do you have against monkeys? Some of my best friends are monkeys. Besides, I said not to ask. You never listen, do you? -- Tony Hafner www.hafhead.com (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: I'm Easily Amused

(...) -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  I'm Easily Amused

I was just surfing the What's new gallery on Brickshelf and I came across some images that I found interesting. Nevermind that they have nothing to do with LEGO and therefore shouldn't even *be* on Brickshelf, but this one caught my eye in (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Gay-o-meter (Was Re: gay by birth vs. gay by choice... who cares!)

(...) 19%. Dunno exactly what it means, except that I'm who I am. It's frightening considering that I've always felt more "in touch" with the proverbial feminine side than most of my peers. Weeeeird. Maybe it's random? LFB (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Project Ginger/It

(...) Dry cleaning! Imagine: laundry -- without water! It's chemicals! Dry cleaning! It's the future! No shrinkage! All I need is 10,000 dollars to open the first store! (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Throwing Down the Gauntlet (was Re: 2nd Annual Space Building Contest?)

(...) Haven't you always wanted a monkey? Adrian (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Project Ginger/It

(...) Agreed. I thought the powered personal scooters were bad enough... (...) 8?) Just make one of these with hidden handlebars & a retractable umbrella, and we'll all look like Inspector Gadget! (...) Well I've heard rumours about some new-fangled (...) (23 years ago, 3-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Project Ginger/It

(...) Boy, did you get that right! Ditto your comment about the hype. What an overblown propaganda crusade. At least the stair-climbing wheelchair was legitimately useful and necessary--do we really need (or benefit from) a product designed to (...) (23 years ago, 3-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Project Ginger/It

(...) Sneak preview of IT: (URL) (23 years ago, 3-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Project Ginger/It

Hey Y'all: Did anyone else find the unveiling of the "Ginger" project to be a yawn? I can see all kinds of reasons why this thing won't fly in the marketplace, including legal challenges to its use in connection to car traffic in the streets, or (...) (23 years ago, 3-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Yet another reason that Australia is the coolest country EVER

(...) Continent, or even in the English countryside: "Australia's long distances and empty roads have traditionally fostered a relaxed habit of taking a leak at the side of the road, a practice than would be impractical or frowned upon in the (...) (23 years ago, 3-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Yet another reason that Australia is the coolest country EVER

(...) Tis supposed to be part of the "National Continence Management Strategy" (URL) put together by our (locally) infamous minister Bronwyn Bishop (who enjoys sitting in the garden (URL) Didn't influence my vote - I don't suffer incontinence, and (...) (23 years ago, 3-Dec-01, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact