 Off-Topic / Fun / 8563
Re: Project Ginger/It
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 23:06:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Richard Marchetti writes:

Did anyone else find the unveiling of the "Ginger" project to be a yawn?

Boy, did you get that right! Ditto your comment about the hype.  What an
overblown propaganda crusade.  At least the stair-climbing wheelchair was
legitimately useful and necessary--do we really need (or benefit from) a
product designed to reduce the amount of walking we do?  Aren't we sedentary
enough?

Agreed. I thought the powered personal scooters were bad enough...

I was more interested in the gyroscopic balancing system being used for the
device than the "scooter" itself. I didn't see anything else of interest
though, not in the coverage I have seen so far.

Same here.  The gyroscopic bits might have useful application in bipedal
robit walking and/or stability, so I'm curious to see how it might lead in
that direction.  Even if we all start scooting around on these pricey,
wheeled pogo sticks, where do we keep them once we get there?  What if it's
raining--do we have full umbrella functionality?

8?) Just make one of these with hidden handlebars & a retractable umbrella, and
we'll all look like Inspector Gadget!

I've heard it said of the Ginger project that it would be more important
than the internet -- which to my mind has yet to reach its full potential. I
don't see it. Am I missing something?

Well, I'd like to solicit your sponsership of my exciting new breakthrough
in transportation technology.  It consists of two units, each with a
foot:ground interface of rubber, leather, wood, plastic, or the like, and
each with an adjustable ring-and-filament structure designed to affix the
devise to the user's foot.  Any takers?

Well I've heard rumours about some new-fangled fabric, which is able to form a
strong, adjustable bond, and is easy to detach, which should be used as the
method of affixation - otherwise I don't your idea will take off at all...

ROSCO