 Off-Topic / Fun / 8561
Re: Project Ginger/It
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:36:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Richard Marchetti writes:
Hey Y'all:

Did anyone else find the unveiling of the "Ginger" project to be a yawn? I
can see all kinds of reasons why this thing won't fly in the marketplace,
including legal challenges to its use in connection to car traffic in the
streets, or even on sidewalks. Plus, there is the price for this
people-mover -- at $3K sometime next year I doubt many will be purchasing
one of these. It seems to go only about 12 miles an hour and require a daily
electrical charge besides.

I was more interested in the gyroscopic balancing system being used for the
device than the "scooter" itself. I didn't see anything else of interest
though, not in the coverage I have seen so far. I think the inventor was
quoted as saying ""You stand on this Segway Human Transporter and you think
forward and then you go forward. If you think backward, you go backward." He
must be talking about the balancing mechanism, because elsewhere it is
stated that "riders control the speed and direction of the device simply by
shifting their weight and using a manual turning mechanism on one of the
handlebars." Hmmm, sounds JUST like a bicycle!

The hype/real value ratio seemed WAY out of whack on this one. Frankly,
after waiting almost a year to find out about this thing, I felt quite let
down.  I doubt this thing will be considered a very revolutionary invention
long-term.

I've heard it said of the Ginger project that it would be more important
than the internet -- which to my mind has yet to reach its full potential. I
don't see it. Am I missing something?

-- Hop-Frog

Sneak preview of IT:
http://www.idleworm.com/spoofs/ginger.htm