 Off-Topic / Fun / 7301
Re: favorite scooby doo episode
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:27:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jennifer Clark writes:
cartoon of that era I really couldn't stand was Captain Caveman, he just
stood there grunting "Caapppttaaaiiinnn Caaaavveeeemaaaaaannnnnnnn!!!!!"
while the baddies ran away.

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Steve Lane writes:
I liked Captain Caveman but I remember little about the show. I know he
lived in a cave situated on top of a van.

I'm with Jennifer on this one.  I always thought Captain Caveman was
rubbish.  I saw it recently and realised why.  It's full of pauses between
dialogue, like really hammy child acting, and most irritating of all it's
got a laughter line that chimes in whenever captain caveman is on screen,
even though he's not even slightly funny.  I never noticed this specifically
at the time, but I know it must have irritated me.

On the other hand, my favourites of that time were Ulysses and Battle of the
Planets, and these do stand the test of time :-)

Ulysses was quiet good but BOTP was brilliant, you can get the video's in
HMV but the screen shots are pretty ropey. I'm worried I might not like it
so I haven't bought any. I'd be dissapointed if I didn't like it any more,
so I'll wait for a restored version. Maybe Gatchaman will get a release (the
series botp was created from).

Ulysses 31 was brilliant. BOTP is still pretty good too (shown on Bravo,
which sadly I can't get), though it did suffer from over-use of the old
segmented enemy attack vehicle, which is defeated in a ridiculously
over-the-top battle sequence.  e.g. driving a car or motorbike up the side
of a moving robotic snake to zap it in the head.  It was neat to actually
have some depth to the characters in BOTP, but Ulyssess 31 actually had
varying plotlines from show to show, despite the ongoing pre-Voyager
finding-the-way-home theme.

Then there were the Transformers serial cartoons on Roland Rat, but these
were just an extended title and end credits sequence with about 5 seconds of
footage each, taken from a feature cartoon.  Had to go with the video
releases on these to get any idea what was going on.  Not bad though.  The
movie was a good one.

Of course, we musn't forget Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.  An ongoing plot
line, and a cheap excuse to do the same vehicular battles over and over
again.  Marvellous stuff.

Jason J Railton