 Off-Topic / Fun / 661
  IMAP vs MAPI

Are the two email type readers IMAP and MAPI different, and, in layman's terms, how? I'm trying to locate a downloadable IMAP type. Thanks, -Tom McD. (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: IMAP vs MAPI

(...) Not sure what you mean by downloadable. If you mean you want to download a reader that will do IMAP, Outlook Express does it, as does Eudora 4, although I don't think there is a free version of Eudora anymore, only a trial version of their Pro (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: IMAP vs MAPI

(...) IMAP is an e-mail protocol used mainly on UN*X boxes which, among other things, leaves the e-mail message sitting on the server (as opposed to downloading a bunch of messages a la POP3.) MAPI is Microsoft's Messaging API, which is an OLE (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: IMAP vs MAPI

(...) Yep, that's what I meant, a mail program that I could pull off the web free or shareware. I do have Outlook Express though it doesn't say in the help if it supports IMAP or not. <snip>, thanks!> (...) Hmm, that makes sense too, as I've got a (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: IMAP vs MAPI

(...) Thanks Sproaticus. So then, in my case, Outlook Express uses MAPI to package and retrieve IMAP type messages? If it's of any consequence to anyone, here's my scenario: I'm trying to use Corel Paradox 8 which uses a "MAPI-compliant mail system" (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Everything I ever wanted to learn about life I learned on Lugnet (was Re: IMAP vs MAPI)

(...) Hmmm... Here's a starter: It's okay to be new. Don't post off-topic unless it's in an off-topic thread. Talk often; it creates friendships. Wash your hands. Read the FAQ then say please and thank you. Mention God, profanity, or holey bags only (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: IMAP vs MAPI

(...) Um, yes -- if you are retrieving from an IMAP server. (...) It's actually more complicated than that. There are several different Microsoft APIs called "MAPI", some of which are incompatable with the others. If you installed Outlook after (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Everything I ever wanted to learn about life I learned on Lugnet (was Re: IMAP vs MAPI)

(...) It's okay to be old, unless you're meatloaf. It's not a bad idea to include a spam-resistant url in every discussion post. If a woman says no, then you really can't afford to take chances; if she says no but really means yes, then you might (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: IMAP vs MAPI

(...) I installed Pdox after Outlook, as OE came pre-loaded. Do you think I could reload OE off of the MS site now and have it work automagically? As it is, Pdox locks up just when I tell objectPal to logon, so I have no way of knowing if it's even (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: IMAP vs MAPI

(...) You might have better luck with Outlook (as opposed to Outlook Express), I don't know. (1) (...) Agreed. If I make any money from using that line, I will give you an order concerning money. :-, Cheers, - Sproat 1. I used to be the Exchange (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: IMAP vs MAPI

(...) It does. You just have to set it in the account options thingies. I use Outlook 98 now and I fear Express junking my settings or I'd run it to find the specifics for you. I'll create a new user on my NT machine at work tomorrow and fire up OE (...) (26 years ago, 15-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: IMAP vs MAPI

(...) or (...) I found the IMAP Transport setting - it was not selected, so I selected it, assuming that's what I needed to do. I'll try a test message, and that's all I'm doing tonight, though I would still be interested in learning anything else (...) (26 years ago, 15-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: IMAP vs MAPI

(...) Okay, so what server do I need to run on my linux box instead of pop3? Better yet, what port can I telnet to to test if it isn't already somewhere in the inetd config :)? Jasper (26 years ago, 27-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: IMAP vs MAPI

(...) Well, I'm pretty sure Redhat has a built-in IMAP server. Here's a line from my inetd.conf file: #imap stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd imapd I have mine commented out, but I have just about everything except ftp commented out. Dunno about (...) (26 years ago, 28-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: IMAP vs MAPI

(...) On my Linux system, it uses port 143, or so it seems. From /etc/services: imap 143/tcp # imap network mail protocol Fredrik (26 years ago, 28-Jan-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)