 Off-Topic / Fun / 670
Re: IMAP vs MAPI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:10:15 GMT

Tom McDonald wrote:
Thanks Sproaticus. So then, in my case, Outlook Express uses MAPI to package
and retrieve IMAP type messages?

Um, yes -- if you are retrieving from an IMAP server.

If it's of any consequence to anyone, here's my scenario: I'm trying to use
Corel Paradox 8 which uses a "MAPI-compliant mail system" to retrieve and
process email.

It's actually more complicated than that.  There are several different
Microsoft APIs called "MAPI", some of which are incompatable with the
others.

If you installed Outlook after Paradox, chances are that you have the
right MAPI layer installed.  With that assumption:  if you can send and
receive messages using Outlook but can't send via Paradox, then chances
are it's Paradox's fault.(1)

[...] Paradox has changed hands more times than they've been washed

LOL!  I *love* that line!  I'm going to use it at work.

Cheers,
- Sproat

1.  Well, we can blame Microsoft on moral grounds, but that can be
assumed for just about anything.  :-,

--
Jeremy H. Sproat - jsproat@geocities.com