 Off-Topic / Fun / 665
Re: IMAP vs MAPI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:46:12 GMT

Mike Stanley writes:
Tom McDonald <radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:
Are the two email type readers IMAP and MAPI different, and, in layman's
terms, how? I'm trying to locate a downloadable IMAP type.

Not sure what you mean by downloadable.  If you mean you want to
download a reader that will do IMAP, Outlook Express does it, as does
Yep, that's what I meant, a mail program that I could pull off the web free or
shareware. I do have Outlook Express though it doesn't say in the help if it
supports IMAP or not.

<snip>, thanks!>
I thought, and was probably wrong, that MAPI is some kind of mail API
that lets Word or other programs do things like mail documents.
Hmm, that makes sense too, as I've got a development environment that
supposedly reads and send email. I'll have to get creative cuz I haven't been
able to get that feature to work. It's probably my code.

I saw those acronyms both related to mail and wondered if they were really the
same. Usually anagrams of acronyms denote different things, but I wanted to be
sure. The more I think about it, the more I want to get documentation on what
the API routines are, what they do, and how I can pass stuff to them.

Thanks Mike.
-Tom McD.