 Off-Topic / Fun / 667
Re: IMAP vs MAPI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:12:20 GMT

Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Tom McDonald wrote:
Are the two email type readers IMAP and MAPI different, and, in layman's
terms, how? I'm trying to locate a downloadable IMAP type.

IMAP is an e-mail protocol used mainly on UN*X boxes which, among other
things, leaves the e-mail message sitting on the server (as opposed to
downloading a bunch of messages a la POP3.)

MAPI is Microsoft's Messaging API, which is an OLE extention that wraps
around someone else's messaging API (such as POP3, IMAP, Exchange, etc.)

If you want to access an IMAP mail server, Pine is a good choice.
Personally, I use Netscape.

Thanks Sproaticus. So then, in my case, Outlook Express uses MAPI to package
and retrieve IMAP type messages?

If it's of any consequence to anyone, here's my scenario: I'm trying to use
Corel Paradox 8 which uses a "MAPI-compliant mail system" to retrieve and
process email. Since I'm using a product from Corel (another renowned adversary
of Microsoft) maybe I've already dug my own pit here as I don't even seem to be
able to logon my pop account through it. Also, Paradox has changed hands more
times than they've been washed, so who knows what's in that code?

-Tom McD.
(everything I ever wanted to learn about life I learned on Lugnet :)