 Off-Topic / Fun / 1320
Re: galactica news (Re: Viper)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:57:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, James Brown writes:
I agree, mostly, but I think Richard Hatch(1) has a certain amount of
justification for being peeved - he's worked for *years* on a revival effort,
producing books, building a promotional tape, inducing various toy/model
companies to rerelease their BG lines, negotiating with Universal, and
co-ordinating fan efforts - then along comes Glen, and says "I'm gonna make a
new movie!  Hunh?  Richard who?"

I think hiring Hatch to reprise his role can only help. But we must know one
thing: despite how much he's done to revive BG and even though he's part of the
original cast, Hatch is merely a spokesperson type for Universal Pictures,
which possibly has the clout to squash any attempt to use "intellectual
property" that legally belongs to them. Whether or not it rightfully belongs to
them is another discussion, well within the pervue of wisdom to settle. But
wisdom often evades our courts.

What all the players in this game need to hear is that no matter who owns it,
who makes it or who stars in it, it should be done as close to the original as
possible. True sci-fi fans are sticklers for giving credit and blessing where
necessary and where expected. They are also (often merciless) fans of justice.
And those fans can make them feel it at the box office.

As an example, you couldn't have classic Star Trek movies without Leonard
Nimoy. You couldn't have it without Gene Roddenberry. But I never met anybody
outside of Paramount Pictures that cared/cares that Paramount owns ST except
for Paramount.

If Universal is in this thing for the money, and if it's only Larson and
Universal who are at odds, it needs to bring Larson and Hatch together, pay
them both (pay them well), and make a movie. To do it any other way means a
much less substantial return at the box office.

-Tom McD.