 Off-Topic / Fun / 1342
Re: galactica news (Re: Viper)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 03:23:58 GMT

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:11:01 GMT, Sproaticus <jsproat@geocities.com> wrote:

Todd Lehman wrote:
SW derivative of Dune?  How so?  SW:ANH released in 1977.  Dune released in
1984.  Did the original Dune book(s) go into SFX-like levels of visual
detail?  Or do you mean Tattooine?

Dune the movie came out in 1984, though it can be argued that it has little
resemblance to the book.  OTOH, the book was written long before 1984.
(Checking Amazon.com...  25th anniv. on 1996, so that puts first printing
around 1971.)

I'll take what similarities I see right off the top of my head and separate
them, to make shredding them easier.  :-,

<snipped comparisions>

Very interesting, Sproat.  It almost makes me want to try reading Dune again.
Notice I said "try".   I never could seem to read Herbert.  He always put me to
sleep.  Or worse, I would read a few paragraphs, then have to stop and say
"huh?" and reread the section.  Something about his style always seems to
confuse me.  Somehow, his work never could make me suspend reality and get into
the flow of the story.

-- Terry K --