 Off-Topic / Fun / 1337
Re: galactica news (Re: Viper)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:11:01 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
SW derivative of Dune?  How so?  SW:ANH released in 1977.  Dune released in
1984.  Did the original Dune book(s) go into SFX-like levels of visual
detail?  Or do you mean Tattooine?

Dune the movie came out in 1984, though it can be argued that it has little
resemblance to the book.  OTOH, the book was written long before 1984.
(Checking Amazon.com...  25th anniv. on 1996, so that puts first printing
around 1971.)

I'll take what similarities I see right off the top of my head and separate
them, to make shredding them easier.  :-,

- The whole concept of spice mining, a desert planet with moisture farms,
etc. was Frank Herbert's.

- The Krayt Dragon skeleton on Tattooine was obviously a homage to Dune's
Sandworm.

- Star Wars' Imperial Stormtroopers were a thinly-veiled clone of Dune's
Imperial Sardukar.

- Dart Vader betrayed and murdered Luke's father, in whom is was of service;
Doctor Yueh betrayed and murdered Paul's father, in whom is was of service.

- Ben Kenobi trained Luke in the Force and allowed himself to die as a
lesson for the poor kid; Thufur Hawat trained Paul in the Weirding Ways and
allowed himself to die as a lesson for the poor kid.

- The sect-like and barbarous Sand People with mystical power and a penchant
for stolen technology bear a more than uncanny resemblence to the sect-like
and barbarous Fremen with mystical power and a penchant for stolen
technology.

- The little kid grows up to conquor the galaxy (though not a unique idea to
Dune, either).

Frank Herbert has been interviewed remarking on how many different places
Star Wars copies Dune.  I'll dig up the article; I believe a part of it is
in Herbert's _Eye_ anthology.

Having said that, I'll take the BSG argument here:  while some parts are
extremely similar, the story as a whole is different.  This only supports my
theory that there are no more original stories, and there will be no more
until the next "Sci-Fi" revolution comes around.  Where's Jules Verne when
you need him?  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

"The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder"
-- British scientist J. B. S. Haldane (1892-1964)