 Off-Topic / Fun / 10069
Re: Two Towers (was Re: Fellowship)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:05:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

I was humiliated by my friend many years ago, when watching the Ralph Bakshi
animated Lord of the Rings.  He stood up in the middle of the theater and
shouted, "Gimli's not bald!"

I humiliated him right back by saying, "Quote me the book and page where it
says he isn't!"

That's pretty funny, in a tragic sort of way.

Not quite as long ago, back in June of 1989, I saw Tim Burton's over-hyped
"Batman" with a girl named, delightfully enough, Robin.  After we'd taken
our seats, but before the film had begun, I went back to the lobby to fetch
popcorn and beverages.  When I returned, I went down to the front of the
theater, made a show of searching for her, and called out "Robin, where are
you?"
She didn't see many movies with me after that...

    Dave!

Ou-uch!

I was watching Nemesis Saturday, there were two people sitting right next to
me discussing Star Trek, and they were wondering if James Doohan was dead.
Somehow they asked me... and then we had a great discussion about Star Trek.

They were so *obviously* misinformed, thinking that this one was only movie
number 8...  ;)

As the movie progressed, they asked me questions every once in a while --
'How did Janeway get in this film?  Why is she an admiral?  How do the
Romulans know about the Borg?'

The really sad thing is when Riker was talking about the time he first met
Data on the Holodeck in the very first ep--"What was that tune he was trying
to whistle--I forget the name of it" and I start whistling
'Pop-goes-the-weasel' and my friend elbows me in the ribs, then I hear about
3-4 other people whistling that in the theatre...

And why no mention at all of Lore!  That was the part that bugged me.

The thing is, I'm not the Trekkie I used to be :)

Of course, there was the time when myself and about 12 of my closest friends
went and saw ST:Generations, and we started whistling the theme to Superman
and the people sitting behind us, (who happened to be wearing full Starfleet
uniforms (with tricorders and phasers!)) told us--"Wrong Movie!"

Yeah, we know.

Dave K