 Off-Topic / Debate / Search Results: all rights are property rights
 Results 741 – 760 of about 12000.
Search took 0.01 CPU seconds.

Messages:  Full | Brief | Compact

  Thought experiment on alternative government structures

On my way home from work today, I was thinking about government structures, and had some interesting ideas, so I offer them for your digestion: The first thought was: If we strive to attain a Libertopia, is there any need for state governments? I (...) (24 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.442)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) Changed it, anyway <grin>... I now interpret that as "voice dissent at", and now I get it. Recall the question Maggie asked about libertarian views on abortion? She was surprised at that informal unscientific poll result showing division of (...) (24 years ago, 30-Nov-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.442)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) No, I'm sure he means State/Government. If you distil "society" (as you're referring to it here) down, it amounts to two forces: - market (in that if "society" frowns upon certain activities, there will be influence on cost/benefit analysis (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.442)

  Re: Christian morality (cont)

(...) Oh ya. And I see you just posted a good thought starter about where morality comes from, etc. I don't speak for all atheists. I don't speak for all libertarians. (technically I'm not even atheist, actually... I'm atheist leaning agnostic) But (...) (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.442)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) I do not conceed that that is a victiless crime. I'm sure their are "happy hookers", but a good deal of them are being exploited. (...) They are not _my_ values - they are those of the society I live. In your LP dreamland you impose your (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.442)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) I think so. Let's get more hypothetical, then (is it possible to be more or less hypothetical? I think so)... Suppose that I could provide you a society in which non governmental systems were providing everything, EVERYTHING, you wanted to (...) (24 years ago, 5-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.441)

  Re: Amway/Quixtar/MLMs

(...) One thing which to my mind makes property tax supported schools at least somewhat palatable is that in most parts of the country you do have at least some choice as to how much property tax you will pay, and what kind of school system (of (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, property
(score: 2.439)

  Re: Uselessness of .debate

(...) rights, (...) valid, (...) What does that mean? :-) (...) to (...) then (...) Scott, I think that Larry meant you specifically, and others who behave similarly. I think that's clear. But at least his insult to you was thinly veiled. It would (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

all, rights
(score: 2.439)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) Which you never did answer, really. A one line answer was all that was required, but after about 5 tries, I finally dragged out of you that you're some kind of Civil, but not what kind. See, when I refuse to do homework for you, it's avoiding (...) (24 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.438)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) To have this charge come from you, the premier time waster of the entire .debate group, as everyone knows, is so laughable as to be beneath any further response. (...) We've had this discussion before, I am not going to reply to every snipe (...) (24 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.438)

  Re: Amway/Quixtar/MLMs

(...) I'm biased. I live in Ada, Amway pays a lot of my school taxes, and I have a lot of friends and relatives that work for Amway (the corporate entity) in various capacities, including my sister-in-law, several nonLEGO good friends and my LEGO (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, property
(score: 2.437)

  Re: Essay on Emerson vs. Thoreau; civil disobedience

(...) Well, obviously you won't take too keenly to the theory to begin with, BUT, since you asked :) Let's look at our society. Take theft for example. Suppose there was someone who didn't believe in the right to own physical property. He couldn't (...) (24 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, property
(score: 2.436)

  Re: Problems with Christianity

(...) My point is that if the X (which really can be any group - I've just been picking on Christians because they are the most visible here) say "Our way is right, and you must not question it, just accept it." (which is how I read much of what has (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.436)

  Re: Essay on Emerson vs. Thoreau; civil disobedience

(...) Let's modify it a bit: I come over to your house taking donations for the home for wayward boys. You ask about my morals. Now I say I plan to teach them the ways of Christ and bring them up as devout Christians. How much money do you give? (...) (24 years ago, 1-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, property
(score: 2.436)

  Re: It IS about Taxation ;-) (Was Re: (Sub|Ob)jectivity and related case studies on .debate (...or is it just about taxation :-)

(...) For some more thoughts on what "consent of the governed" means, see this reference I just stumbled across while reading up on something Chris W. pointed me at... (URL) ties in well with David Friedman's writings on how to have non statist law (...) (24 years ago, 25-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.435)

  Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:G7KAE9.MFt@lugnet.com... (...) I didn't (and don't) dispute your rights. (...) a (...) his (...) I don't accept that at all. Anyone who wants to express their opinion in a public forum (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.433)

  Re: Description vs. argument

(...) Indeed. So what is the point of your system, if your "god given" rights can be removed the government? Are they only fair weather rights? (...) I know of no UK school which has a "whites only" policy in the last century. I know of no UK (...) (24 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.433)

  Foundation of a republic (was Gun control)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek has been snipped... (...) Although Australia is a constitutional backwater (no bill of rights, still a monarchy etc) our High Court has come up with some interesting jurisprudence on this point. Rather (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.433)

  Re: Family values?

(...) I certainly don't believe that infidelity should be rewarded. The conflict arises because while people SHOULD act responsibly, unfortunately that doesn't always happen. And if we are dealing with consequences of an act of irresponsibility that (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.432)

  Re: My Gun Control Rant

Tim Culberson wrote in message <3A55160C.9A731E80@y...oo.com>... (...) <opinion> Good! Guns are freaking dangerous and the more that have their ownership known, and the less that get owned, the better! </opinion> (...) It's obviously going to reduce (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights
(score: 2.432)

More:  Next Page >>