 Off-Topic / Debate / 9152
Re: Amway/Quixtar/MLMs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 04:57:06 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
So while in the specific I wish you luck, in the abstract I want Amway to do
well, as, like I said, they pay a good chunk of the school taxes in my
district. Since I'm a pragmatist (c.f. Thoreau/Emerson), I can be against
property tax funding of schools while at the same time be willing to take
the funds Amway pours in. Hypocritically, of course. :-)

One thing which to my mind makes property tax supported schools at least
somewhat palatable is that in most parts of the country you do have at
least some choice as to how much property tax you will pay, and what
kind of school system (of course the "government knows all and is
perfect" camp is trying to ruin even that by mandating the state fund
each school the same per pupil) you get for your money.

Frank