 Off-Topic / Debate / 9162
Re: Education (was: Amway/Quixtar/MLMs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:04:32 GMT

I think, from a UK perspective, it is a good idea to aim to give kids an
equal level of education. However, supplying equal $/head is a very
simplistic way of doing this - unless we assume kids are a mass produced
homogenous product. The cost of education will depend on a great many things
- a good deal of them being nothing to do with the kids involved.

Ack!  In the past you have repeatedly advocated that education should be doled
out in quantities proportional to the ability to learn.  Now you are saying
that it should be equal.  Just for clarity, which of these stances do you
actually agree with?

I see no contradiction in what I am saying. I/you/we are mixing
school/higher education. The UK system provides education up to the 16. It
is required that parents provide their children with education - the default
is the state system. Within the 4-16 age range, education is tailored to the
ability of children to learn. At age bands within the 4-16 range, 99% of
kids will sit the same level of exam - the formal education system, to a
degree, is based these exams. The state will provide education, on the same
basis, for 16-18 year olds. After that, entry is only available to HE & FE
based on ability to learn - not ability to pay.

I think ability to pay is your preferred system? My way; bright kids value
a good education - your way; rich kids squander it.

Scott A