 Off-Topic / Debate / 8542
8541  |  8543
Subject:
Foundation of a republic (was Gun control)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 02:58:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek has been snipped...
You have whatever rights the majority of the
people of Canada decide are reasonable to grant you _at this time_

That's my point. The US is (theoretically) constrained in what rights it
can usurp because the US is founded on the principle that rights come from
the (individual) people and are granted to the government, rather than the
other way round.

Although Australia is a constitutional backwater (no bill of rights, still a
monarchy etc) our High Court has come up with some interesting jurisprudence
on this point. Rather than declaring our independence in one bold revolution
we have evolved from a bunch of colonies to a republic (almost) over the
course of a century, leading to severe conflicts between constitutional
principle and practice. The solution to these has been for the
interpretation of our sovereignty to change, so whatever the constitution
says about the crown of Britain, it is now axiomatic that the government of
Australia is founded on the will of the people.

Tim is stuck. He lives in a country that is ruled, ultimately, by fiat (3).
He can't win the argument he is in (or ANY argument about rights) because he
*has no* inalienable rights. Only "rights" temporarily granted by sufferance
because no one has gotten around to making the political case that he'd be
better off without that particular right. And rights that can be taken away
are not rights, they're privileges.

I'd assert that all people have several universal and inalienable human
rights. Certainly most are political, arguably some are economic, I doubt
whether any are ballistic. Personally I think the second amendment is
ineffective against government firepower -- or maybe not: who won the war on
drugs?

--DaveL