 Off-Topic / Debate / 99
Re: [LDAO] Editor Feedback requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 00:03:59 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <365050B8.986B64AC@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com>...
Matt Marshall wrote:

Sorry but I have to point out that in most cases VB is a much faster, and
easier to use programming language, Sure theres some trobles getting to
lowlevel stuff but that's why you use VC++ for an OCX. While Java on the
other hand, is slow and buggy.

VB is a faster language if what you want is writing poorly structured,

Only if you don't bother to take the time to do it right, my programs, when
I finish them(1) are very elegant, true there are some wierd things about
the structure but hey, I hate the structure of a for loop in C++

hard to maintain code.

It all depends on how you code

Having to go to another language is damning. The

Not really, why should you have to do everything including stuff suited to a
better langauge in one language, I mean would you try to make a cake in just
the blender(2). It's good for people to know more than one language anyway.

bugginess of Java does not at all compare to trying to debug a VB
problem. Been there, done that, didn't like it.

Okay VB has a few nast logic errors, but that's mostly with controls
included in VB, that's why I've been trying to write my own controls for the
standard things.

Further, since Java is non proprietary, you can switch vendors if you're
not getting good support. Try getting support for VB from MS.

Let's see, I've called MS and had support over the phone with VB, I can goto
numerous webpages, newsgroups, and call about 40 people who I personally
know as VB gurus, Not to mention all the really cool books for it. Java is a
real bear to get support for at least starting out, I attempted to learn
Java, becuase I wanted to make some cool java apps for my webpage, but soon
regretted spending 30 bucks on a book to  use it.

Finally, "sand" is cheap. "Meat" is expensive. Java is getting faster.
Hardware is getting cheaper. Programmers are getting more expensive. So
don't sweat the performance difference. Go for what is easier and more
efficient to develop in.

Using Murphy's Law to say it's okay to write buggy code that han't been
optimized, well even though I may be a newbie on the programming lanuages I
find that scary, what happens when the proccesor market really stagnates and
decides to stop churning out as many new proccesors.

P.S. Sorry for the off topicnesss of most of this post, but I'm an avid • VB
programmer

Don't worry, you'll graduate to a real language some day.

VB is a real language, but I'm learning C++ and I admire the ease of use of
VB mcuh  more than Borlands C++(3)

Followups to off-topic.debate since this is now a language debate. I
feel I have standing on this as an architect and developer with 20 years
of experience in the biz. I've developed production software in VB, PB,
C, C++, Pascal, Fortran, COBOL, PL/S and Java, among others.

I'm sorry taht anyone would have to code with the last one, you have my
condolences. ;->

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.

(1) Various reasons for not finishing them are namely school and lack of
time, never because of the limits of VB
(2) yes I know really bad analogy
(3)Probably because it's Borland

Matt Marshall
$%#$% Vacuum Cleaners Always get my pieces!!!
Matt's Lego Page
http://rapturesoft.hypermart.net/mlego/